Troll reminder...

Thanks for taking this over! Do you have a filter for the most recent gutter mouth?

Reply to
alexy

Whether you reply directly or indirectly, the troll has accomplished his purpose of disrupting a newsgroup.

True but I'm not the one bitching about it.

Reply to
CW

Not quite everything -- the latest crop of filth passed through wplus.net. But this filter catches all of those:

rec.woodworking drop message-id:.*@195.131.52.135

Doug Miller

Neither am I. We have quite a few people who weren't around during the last troll attack, and I'm hoping to forestall the absolute spate of posts we had last time asking "what can be done about this" by posting that information

*before* they ask. Sorry that bothers you.

Doug Miller

one more for the list. he's apparently signed up for news access with a Russian provider. so:

rec.woodworking drop message-id:.*@195.131.52.135

Note: if you duplicate the set of filters using "references" instead of "message-id", you'll automatically drop any _responses_ to the messages as well.

"Robert Bonomi's short-list of troll-control filters", at

has a ready-to-run file with all the above filters in it.

And, as I mentioned elsewhere in this thread, nFilter itself is also available there.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

See Robert's and my posts in the thread titled "Troll reminder".

Doug Miller

The binary you have available caused a "not a valid Win32 application error" when I try to run it. I downloaded it 2 times to make sure I did not get a corrupt file the first time. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks, LFW reply does not work, so use mailto: snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net

Robert B> >

Reply to
L. Wilson

Thanks everyone

Thanks to an off group email, - I've now got nfilter.exe running and do am using Robert Bonomi's nfilter.dat - I'm looking forward to seeing a NG talking about woodworking, not disgusting body functions or political bull.

Ian Wheeler

So why don't you just take the direct route and ask the trolls to kindly leave the group alone? It will do just about as much good.

Reply to
CW

The file on the server _is_ good, I just re-verified it. For some reason, your download attempts stopped with only a partial file. You should get a file that is 688k (692735 bytes) in size.

My logs show occasional other instances of the same thing happening -- at different points in the file.

My best guess is that there is network congestion "somewhere". I am running tests against the server, to ensure that it is behaving properly.

Recommend you just 'try again', until you get something 'the right size'.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I'm beginning to think that you enjoy being argumentative. It's difficult for me to see any harm in attempting to educate the newbies about dealing with the trolls. It's also difficult for me to see any benefit in continuing to attempt to educate you.

Doug Miller

same error here, through several downloads. file size is always 677K. any chance of a post to abpw?

Reply to
Bridger

Send me an e-mail w/ a working addy, I'll send you a copy. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

I simply was pointing out that your efforts, either telling the trolls to go away or telling people not to post to/ about them are equally futile. Take a look at the recent posts and you will see what I mean.

Reply to
CW

My apologies. 677k *is* correct for the file. It should work just fine. (the partial transfers I was seeing in the logs died at some multiple of

32k. To wit: 32k, 64k, 96, and one at 128K -- which was the largest 'partial' transfer)

What happened -- I goofed on the conversion from the exact file-size to 'k's. Even though that's a Windows executable, it lives on a UNIX box that is the web-server. And every operating system has it's own set of 'fictions' about how much disk space a file occupies, versus the actual size of the file contents. And I used the wrong set of lies.

Sorry for the confusion.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

OK, but the file still won't run on my box....

Reply to
Bridger

but now I have one that wil...

: ^ )

Reply to
Bridger

So, how did you get a file that would run? I have downloaded several times, the size is correct, but it still will not run. I have downloaded the source, but it will be a while until I have a build environment ready to compile it.

LFW replyto does not work use: mailto: snipped-for-privacy@netscape.com

Bridger wrote:

Reply to
L. Wilson

Make that

mailto: snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net

L. Wils> So, how did you get a file that would run? I have downloaded several

Reply to
L. Wilson

You're welcome. Bob if yours is corrupted, I'll send you a new copy. Let me know. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave