Troll reminder...

Page 1 of 2
Looks like one of them, at least, is back. Please DO NOT feed them.
For those who are new here...
We've had several severe troll attacks in the last eight months or so. The best way to deal with them is to ignore them. Totally. Make no response whatever in any of the threads that they start. Please do a Google Groups search for David Eisan's posts on avoiding the crap. There's a great set of instructions there for installing and configuring a filter program (Nfilter) to keep you from ever seeing this garbage.
For those who are using Nfilter already, these filters catch pretty nearly all of the garbage that's been posted recently:
rec.woodworking drop message-id:.*@cypherpunks.to rec.woodworking drop message-id:.*@bogg.dynu.com rec.woodworking drop from:*remailer*
Doug,
Just got a new laptop - do you have a link to nfilter.exe - I did a google search but came up with 404 errors on nfilter.org.
Thanks, Ian

Ian, try here: http://www.nfilter.org /
You can also go here for instructions: http://www.nfilter.org/faq.html#2.2
Or look for any of several of David Eisans mini-faq messages dealing with some of the ways to set it up by doing a "find" in the wRECk messages with subject of ***Rec.Woodworking Mini-FAQ***
--
Nahmie
Those who know the least will always know it the loudest.

Nope, no good.

Not any more. Nfilter stopped maintaining that site.

About the only place you're going to get it now is a site maintained by Robert Bonomi. Sorry I don't have the URL handy. Google for David Eisan's mini-faq message as mentioned above; the URL is given there.

OOPS! I pulled those from mini-faq # 132. Sorry!
--
Nahmie
Those who know the least will always know it the loudest.

speak of the devil <grin>
<http://www.r-bonomi.com/rec.woodworking/
Thanks everyone
Thanks to an off group email, - I've now got nfilter.exe running and do am using Robert Bonomi's nfilter.dat - I'm looking forward to seeing a NG talking about woodworking, not disgusting body functions or political bull.
Ian

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 20:46:19 -0500, "Ian Wheeler"

I believe they closed that site, Ian. http://www.webbworks.com/spamhelp.html might have it or google for "saproxy" or "spam assassin"
--
REMEMBER: First you pillage, then you burn.
---

E-mail me and I'll send you a copy. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

I'm grabbing SMAMfighter now. Free, keeps rejected msgs within OE... here's hoping:)
brought forth from the murky depths:

Well, it wasted the Google toolbar I was using....
brought forth from the murky depths:

Doh... please ignore that last bit.
Available at <http://www.r-bonomi.com/rec.woodworking .
also a filter file that drops known troll messages.
nFilter has been abandoned by it's original author, in the belief that the need for it has passed.
I have the source-code, as well, so it is _not_ "lost art"..

snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

Thanks for taking this over! Do you have a filter for the most recent gutter mouth?
--
Alex

For those who prefer to use Outlook as their only newsreader, you can set up a newsgroup filter with less then a dozen curse or swear words to delete messages before you ever see them. It effectively disposes of over 95% of the swarf.
and it would be even more effective if the rest of us refrain from using those terms in normal posts.
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -

That's what I keep thinking. I could block using OE alone but the method it uses would block everyone else out due to the increase in language used here, That includes the F word and S word in particular.
--

"SwampBug" < snipped-for-privacy@etetet.trt> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Yes, that occurred to me, but by and large, the group here is pretty civil and not prone to foul language as far as I've seen. Even when I've seen the occasional argument, it doesn't get near as crude as the trolls that have been visiting.
I agree 100% with your last statement and 95% with the first. . .but it is a matter of personal preference. <s>
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -