Troll filter for a Mac?

I am running MOS 9.2.2 with Netscape 4.79 and would like a filter for the junk being posted here. Any help or clues to search will be appreciated. My address above is correct. Hoyt W.

Reply to
Hoyt Weathers

I had very bad luck with filters on Netscape working with newsgroups, although they worked fine with mail. Instead I went to Thoth as a Mac Newsreader. Someone reported here that Thoth was no longer avilable but regardless I think your best option is to go with a dedicated newsreader with filtering. You might alos have problems now finding any OS 9 ones as X's been out for three years. Allen

Reply to
Allen Epps

MT-Newswatcher iis still around and was updated last month.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

MT-NewsWatcher has great filtering ability and is free. Highly recommended.

ClearCut

Thanks Dave. I Googled for MT-Newswatcher and found several options. I downloaded the Classic version from the Apple site and put it into my Systems folder. I have yet to open it however.

Reply to
Hoyt Weathers

Put in your Applications folder, not the System folder.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

O.K. Dave, I fetched it and put it into the Applications folder. It is an Adobe Photoshop 5.5 document. I double clicked on it and it would not open. Instead, I got a message which said in effect it was not the right kind of document. Weird. I will restart and see what happens. Hoyt W.

Reply to
Hoyt Weathers

If you get stuck email me and I'll help you get sorted out.

We can take this off-list.

Remove "N_O_T_T_H_I_S." to get the correct addy.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

MT Newswatcher does not go in your systems folder! IT is an "application", that is a newsreader. Once you have it running, you can use the filters.

Reply to
Jim Polaski

Can't be a PS document. You have something else. Mt Newswatcher is distributed as a .sit file on the Mac.

Reply to
Jim Polaski

Thanks for the info on NewsWatcher for the Mac - its great, filters all the junk postings! Its like getting rec.woodworking back again!

Rick

Reply to
Richard Crook

With Thoth I've found that filtering on "Message-ID" contains "localhost" catches the scumbag with very few false positives.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone