Triumph Rocket III - manufacture & testing

Monty P. would be proud of this one.

it is on topic. Note the trees in the background. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Thanks. I love Triumph. You know that God rode a Triumph with open pipes "His Triumph could be heard throughout the land."

Proud (past) owner of a 1973 Bonneville 750 and a 1958 chopped pre- unit 500.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

forebears. The legendary BSA/Triumph X75 Hurricane, a Rocket III variant, may be the coolest looking British motorcycle ever built. In comparison, the new Triumphs look more like rocks than rockets.

yes, with motorcycles, looks count! ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

The new one's will probably rust out a lot faster too as they're probably not leaking oil all over everything like the old one's did. Art

Reply to
Artemus

They weren't leaking oil ...they were marking their spot. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Reply to
Robert Haar

That reminds me of a saying I read in a biker rag many years ago (I may not be quoting it 100%); "Hondas use oil in their engines. Harleys use oil on your left leg. Triumphs use oil in a puddle underneath where you park it. BSA's use oil in a widening stripe that follows the bike where ever it goes. =20 Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

One of the heartiest laughs of my life came when a friend of mine, was trying to convince a friend of ours (after a few pints), that the reason BSA was called BSA was because where and how they were made. He claimed they were made in a small area of the UK, by people of short enough stature so that they could work on the bikes while standing up beside them. The workforce took advantage of the area's preponderance of people with short limbs, making them very good at wiring and fitting the bikes during assembly. That was the reason the factory was called the Birmingham Small Arms Company.... you had to be there...

Reply to
Robatoy

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 19:42:32 -0700 (PDT), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

Har! I got a good laugh out of that just hearing about it. I can imagine how much better it was on-scene.

-- Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. -- John Muir

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Especially the thoroughly dead-pan/serious delivery... till the punch- line.

I like to tell a story about The William & Bradley Tates Brass Casting Company. Makers of marine hardware. They even ventured into the manufacturing of ships' compasses. They didn't work very well, hence the phrase: "He who has a Tates, is lost." (You can flesh that story out to a long spun-out tale with mixed results, mostly groans. The ultimate compliment is if you can make somebody clutch their stomach in agony, or clear an entire room.)

Then there is the story about Justice Samuel Schwartz who lifted his robe to show his willy to a passing schoollbus. They couldn't arrest him because you just can't book a judge by his cover.

'll be here all week.

Try the veal.

Don't forget to tip your waitress.

Reply to
Robatoy

I like to tell a story about The William & Bradley Tates Brass Casting Company. Makers of marine hardware.

--------------------------------------- A little tip.

Brass isn't used for marine hardware.

Salt water leeches out the zinc.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

THEREFORE.....

He who HAS A "TATES" is lost.

Hiyo!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Okay then, how about the The William & Bradley Tates Copper Clapper Casting Company?

Reply to
Robatoy

Sometimes you have to spell them out for people.....

Reply to
Robatoy

In Cleveland

Reply to
Robatoy

Claude Cooper used to work there... until the incident.

Reply to
Steve Turner

CW

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 10:40:35 -0700, the infamous "CW" scrawled the following:

See you and raise you one?

the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. -- John Muir

Reply to
Larry Jaques

------------------------------------------ What many people don't realize is that for many years, several of Carson's writers were from Cleveland.

I've been told that you write about what you know best.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Aha, so that's where the world's oil deposits came from.

Reply to
DGDevin