Triton TRA001 Router

Anyone have any reports on the Triton TRA001 3-1/4 HP router. I'm looking at it for use in a router table. It looks like be pretty well designed with that use in mind. Price wise it's attractive, any input from the group would be appreciated. thanks

Reply to
d.williams

Search the archives of this group. There's lots of info on this subject. It appears that this is one of the best router choices for router tables at the present time. I would probably own one myself if they were available a few years back when I made my table. Until what I presently have breaks down or something significantly better comes along to justify the upgrade I'm sticking with what I have. If I was replacing it now it would likely be the Triton.

Charley

Reply to
Charley

LOL time gets away from us... This router was available "a few years back". I got mine about 3 years ago.

Reply to
Leon

"d.williams" wrote in message news:j0tOi.44$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga...

I have had one for about 3 years maybe 4. Previously I had a similar sized Bosch hanging under the table since 1988. The Bosch still ran fine but I wanted EASIER TO USE with out having to invest in a new router and an expensive router lift. Mine hangs up side down all the time. No complaints except for the collet. There is nothing wrong with the collet, it is just different from most others. Basically it is tight or not tight. Wrench travel from loose to tight is about 3 or 4 degrees. The plus size to that is that you do not have to loosen, reposition the wrench and loosen again. When loosening, If the wrench moves, the collet is loosened enough. ;~) I have never had a bit slip issue. I mounted mine so that the front of the router still faces you when hanging upside down. This places the lock lever, switch, and speed control on the back side. A little inconvenient but I prefer the coarse adjustment knob to be on the right side and the fine adjustment knob to be on the right side in so much that I am "correctly" right handed. ;~) My router is hanging in a Bench Dog router station so it is mounted on a pheonlic? plate and is easily removed for speed adjustments when necessary. I very seldom remove the router for any other reason and only seldom change speeds. The self locking shaft and above the table bit changes are GREAT for "under a router table" use. If I used the router free hand I would prefer a non locking shaft and 2 wrench collet.

It's as ugly as the Pontiac Aztec.

Reply to
Leon

It got pretty good reviews, but IIRC, the 2-1/4 HP version was considered by at least one review to be the better of the two. I don't remember why.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Quit lying Larry.......I seen pics of that so called hood yo made from recycled bathroom lights and it looks like a homeless person made it out of used pallet wood without dissassmbly of the pallet. Surely you cold not know a dam thing about a power tool or quality wood or tools yet alone know quality work. Are you by chance blind..........screwing turtles will do that I hear..........or is it from a long love affair withyour appendage?

Reply to
Tristie

I have one & like it allot. Mounted in a jessem lift . Woodcraft sells them fairly cheap at times. I would recommend it.

Reply to
Chris

Why would you mount it in a lift???????????????????

Reply to
Leon

The 2.25HP version comes already fitted for an above the table adjustment handle, and for the US, the handle comes with a set of Porter-Cable style brass guides, possibly as part of the deal at no extra - here in Oz we have to pay for all the parts separately.

There is an aftermarket above table adjuster for the TRA001, made by Router Raizer - here is a link to the Australian agents:

has been some comment about the futility of this, as you have to be able to get under the table to reach the adjustment lock on the router, in which case you may as well use the one built into the router while you are down there.

regards Bruce

snip

Reply to
BSRLee

Not to denigrate the Triton router but have you looked at the Milwaukee 3

1/2 HP .
just replaced a Hitachi M12V with the new Milwaukee and it's a dandy. The Milwaukee has an opening in the base into which you can insert a "T" handle to adjust the height when the router is installed in a table. Talk about slick! Very nice feature. And that 3 1/2 HP will let you move the stock right along; no bogging down. I'm really happy with mine.

Max

Reply to
Max