Triton Router - she no start

Page 1 of 2
I have had a Triton 2400w router in a table for as long as they have been available.
Went in today, plugged in - light on on switch - no go.
Checked full movement of switch cover, mechanism is spinning freely by hand (checked with lead off), took top cover off, cleaned and extracted stray dust, checked connections to speed control.
Took both brushes out - they were in goot nick, gave em a buff, replaced em.
Absolutely no life - its as if the safety off is locked off, but short of disassembling entirely (I started and said waaaiiit) - any body on Wreck had one stop completely?
Service agents are some distance from me, and I am pondering if I should replace it - and that begs the question - should I stay with it - or replace plate and router....
Mike

Call Triton direct. They are very helpful.
How can that be? Triton got top marks in a recent issue of FWW. I'm appalled.
Mike Richardson wrote:

Dick,
And so they should - I have given this unit an absolute hammering - and have been happy in all respects except for large horizontal panel raising bit that wont fit thru base. It has been a work horse, and served well...
Leon,
Tried Triton - pointed to service agent, I am out in the country - so would need to get it there, and back. Freight being investigated now, but I look to be up for $60 in freight, plus parts/labour - it very quickly adds up to a balance point...as in buy a new drill with new batteries in lieu re-pack type scenario.
I gather you would still replace your TRC with same?
Mike

Yeah I hear you now. Yes, today I would replace with the same as there is nothing on the market at the current time that I feel is any better. Besides that, the price has come down quite a bit since I bought mine 3 or so years ago. $214 at Woodcraft is hard to beat for a big router.
Yes, thats my feeling also, I have a couple of other brands, and I definately think I would replace either of them with a Triton. So, probably I will buy one, send the other away to boarding school, and when he gets back, I will have another GOOD spare.
Mike

My sarcasm was mostly my disappointment that FWW did NOT include the 3hp Porter-Cable in their roundup.
Mike Richardson wrote:

If you are talking about the recent article, they mentioned that the only routers to be included in the comparison were strictly new generation and specifically built to fit under a router table.
Contributing editor Roland Johnson tested a new generation of routers with a specialized base that promise the convenient above-the-table bit adjustment of a router lift without the expense.
Oh, I missed that detail. Seems like he should have compared to the old generation, too.
Leon wrote:

Dick,
Send me one - I will gladly test it to destruction and write a review..:-)
Carbatec here used to hold them, but don't anymore. Perhaps not enought 240v market for them?
Mike

Don't know why Carbatec doesn't carry them anymore. Do they carry only Triton? If so, I suspect there's some nationalism at play. If not, I apologize for even thinking that.
BTW, not sure where you got ht e240V thing. My Porter-Cable 3 hp 7518 is 120v. It is a very good router although it does not have the "new generation" of above the tale fine adjustments -- it's more for the router lift crowd.
Mike Richardson wrote:

Dick,
Confusion - what I meant was, perhaps OUR requirement for 220/240 volt does not mean enough market for Porter Cable. Carbatec carry Triton and Axminster and Festo now.
I certainly would look to a PC in my stable if they had local representation, was just again on web looking at their site/specs.
Mike

Sorry for the confusion. I just re-read the article in FWW and certainly the Triton deserves good marks. I was a little disappointed in what FWW said about the Milwaukee 5625-20. I really like the feel of it. Also I prefer fixed based routers under the table....All this discussion make me thing I should start a new discussion on routers. Look for my post entilled "Time to re-evaluate router-table routers?"
On Dec 29, 6:03 pm, "Mike Richardson"

message

In the Houston area 2 of my main suppliers and a 3rd that I know of are dropping or have dropped Delta/PC. Apparently the 3rd dropped Delta because Delta ran an ad that indicated that the #1 place to buy Delta was at Lowe's. Steel City is starting to show up as a replacement.
Don't you mean your 2 1/3 horsepower 7518?

No, I just checked -- It's 3.25 HP.
Pat Warner gives it high marks. See http://www.patwarner.com/selecting_router.html .

There is not a 3.25 horsepower, 120 volt router on the market. Physically impossible. In the same class as the 5 horsepower shop vac.
wrote in message

Hmmm. Not what it says on Amazon. See (Amazon.com product link shortened)67440817/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-0232853-2297566?ie=UTF8&s=hi
What's up with that?

Goes to show, Amazon lies too. Actually, Amazon just repeats what the manufacturer says. You can't get more power out than you put in (if you figure a way to do that, you have solved the perpetual motion problem). 3 horsepower equals 2238 watts. 15 amps at 120 volts equals 1800 watts.

Hmmm. Then we better check all of them. How does Triton and Milwaukee get more than 3 HP?

message Hmmm. Not what it says on Amazon. See(Amazon.com product link shortened)...