Triton 3 1/4 HP Router---Good Price.

Page 1 of 2
So my Dewalt DW621 has died. Said it would cost around $160 to fix. Time for a new router. I started looking into the 2 1/4 HP Triton and quickly found that availability is quite scarce. Either way, they are priced at around $189-$200+. I discovered the 3 1/4 HP is more available but is going for around $300, until I checked Woodcraft. They've got the 3 1/4 HP TRC001 for $214, only $5 more than the 2 1/4 HP version. Considering this will be largely used in a table, I figured what the hay and ordered it. Now, there's a small anomaly with their site. It looks like they've fixed it today but yesterday they listed it as the TRC001 router but yet when you checked out, it showed up as the TRA001. According to the Tech guy, Doug, they are one and the same. One comes from Australia and the other from Canada. So anyway, I ordered and it's due here Saturday so if you're at all interested in which model I get, I can let you know. Either way, it appears to be a decent deal. Cheers, cc
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyidE19
They have had it for that price for 6 or 8 months. Good luck.

SNIP

More than exactly what you got, I would be more interested in how you like it. I have had PC, Bosch and DeWalt routers for years. Each took a little to get used to, but not much.
But there was something abou that Triton I just never got comfortable with. I don't really know what it was, maybe just too long a time with other tools. But it never really felt right in my hands. If you park this one under a table it should be a delight, but if you do any handwork with it, I would like to hear what you think.
BTW, what happened to the 621 that is so damned expensive to repair? Is the shop just drilling you ($160!!!), or did soemthing catastrophic happen? Were you using it under a table?
Inquiring minds, you know...
Robert

Maybe because it is "BUTT UGLY".
I have had one almost 3 years now and it hangs upside down in a Bench Dog router table. I have never used it free hand.
But it never really felt right in my hands. If you

IMHO almost perfect under the table. Some reviews claim that it is tough to get to the controlls with it hanging upside down. I suppose they never heard of turning the unit around. I have mine hanging so that the lock lever, coarse height adjustment knob, and fine tune adjustment knob are on the right side. The on/off switch which has to be turned on and off mechanically so that you can raise the bit for removal is located on the back left side. You soon learn to feel and blindly push the guard door over and turn the unit on with your left hand after changing bits. The speed control is hidden on the bottom of the back side. I use a mirror to see and change the speed controll dial when I need to to that, Or you can lift the unit out of the table and look directly at the dial if you have it mounted on a removable plate. I keep my plate screwed down. Collet tightening and loosening requires about 1/16 of a turn from full loose to full tight. That takes a bit of getting used to and is not a problem when the router is mounted in a table. Having to hold the router with one hand and the wrench in another hand might be more troublesome in a free hand set up. This is where the better "two wrench" collet set up would be much better. Under the table the locking shaft and single wrench work out fine.
I currently have an "old" B&D, and 2 Bosch routers. This Triton replaced the Big Bosch Plunge router under the table. Fit and finish is not as good as the other routers but performs every bit as good as the other routers.
The speed EVS seems to do well when spinning raised panel bits.
I bought the router when the price was a bit north of $300 and still feel that it is worth that amount. Knowing today that you can typically get the router for at least $75 cheaper does not make me think that I should have waited.
Pontiac Aztec ugly, keep it hidden behind doors in a router cabinet and you'll be fine. ;~)

No kidding! I thought I was the only one. Everyone raves about this machine so much I just kept quiet.

I love the way my DW625 feels in the hand since i made a large 3/8 inch pheonlic base for it. It is like a portable milling machine. But in fairness, it spends almost all its time hanging upside down in the table, too.

router for at least $75 cheaper does not make me think that I >should have waited.
Now that tells you that you made a wise purchase. Appreciate the machine review. I had never seen much from anyone that used them, just used one a little to try it out. The only other source of info has been the wood mags which have all flogged it to death.
Robert
The woodworking magazine version of the recording studio magazine version of another article on Phil Ramone. ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

I'll bet.
I can only imagine (of course while humming "hey, ho, let's go!")
Hey... at least it wasn't "I Wanna Be Sedated"!
Robert

That would have been Joey Ramone. No relation to Phil that I know of. Still, The Ramones did the penultimate version of What A Wonderful World. Great band. Refreshing. Offspring does a nice version of "I Wanna Be Sedated"!

Well, Swing shot that one right over my head!
I never could keep any of the Ramones straight after I found out none of them had the name "Ramone" and that they only took it as an affectation for the band.
I thought Phil Ramone actually produced the Ramones, but an internet look at his body of work revealed there was not a remote chance that he did.
Robert

I don't think The Ramones were ever produced..<G>

Hah! With that level of joyful mayhem, you are probably 100% right!
Robert

Indeed. I like a little carnage in my music once in a while.
Sarnia, Ontario, my home town, is hosting another Bayfest with a big line-up. Nickelback, Toby Keith. Aerosmith, Def Leapard...NONE of which interest me... well maybe a few songs by Keith because he always has a great band... but not for that kinda money
http://www.sarniabayfest.com /
What I want is an evening with The Brian Setzer Orchestra.

Right!
I as working in a NYC rehearsal studio ~ 1988, with The Ramones in another room on the same floor. The bathrooms were located off the common hallway / elevator lobby.
Whenever someone would open the door to The Ramones' room to head out to the men's room, it sounded like a jet was landing on the roof. There was simply a brutal wall of sound that just hammered the building, almost like compressed air!
It was great... <G>
Another tenant on the same floor was Kiss, who had nothing on the sheer volume of The Ramones.
"B A R R Y" wrote in message

And a total waste of recording technology, nonetheless. ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Think of it as destructive testing then it is not a waste.
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

LOL ... you're right about that. He is known by recording engineers/producers for his "wall of sound" techniques back in the glory days of the recording studio/record company method of album production, and has since had more magazine articles about him than the ultimate router table ... and recently a mysterious murder, to boot.
AAMOF, I haven't bothered to look at a recording industry mag in quite a few years, but picked one up in a studio last week and sure enuff, an article on Phil Ramone, just as if those years had not past.
A deja vu easily done in any woodworking magazine.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07
:> I thought Phil Ramone actually produced the Ramones, but an internet :> look at his body of work revealed there was not a remote chance that :> he did.
: LOL ... you're right about that. He is known by recording : engineers/producers for his "wall of sound" techniques back in the glory : days of the recording studio/record company method of album production, and : has since had more magazine articles about him than the ultimate router : table ... and recently a mysterious murder, to boot.
Um, no. That's Phil Spector. Phil Ramone is a very different guy.
    -- Andy Barss
"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

and
Um, yes ... When ya gonna learn, Andrew?
Phil Ramone engineered the Gene Pitney session where the "wall of sound" micing technique first became generally known when released. In the recording business, producer's request a certain sound, the engineers job is to develop the "technique" to get the sound, and IIRC, Spector was not even a producer on this particular session.
That Larry Levine used the same techniques on later recordings when engineering for Spector only proves Spector's genius for publicity.
That said, you are indeed correct about my mix-up with "the Phils" with regard to the "mysterious murder" ... a rare occurrence and your very first success since you started your attempts at correcting, with obvious DAGS garnered knowledge, the more knowledgeable.
Congratulations on being lucky on that one count! But do keep trying ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07
: "Andrew Barss" wrote in message :> Swingman < wrote: :> : LOL ... you're right about that. He is known by recording :> : engineers/producers for his "wall of sound" techniques back in the glory :> : days of the recording studio/record company method of album production, : and :> : has since had more magazine articles about him than the ultimate router :> : table ... and recently a mysterious murder, to boot. :> :> :> Um, no. That's Phil Spector. Phil Ramone is a very different guy.
: Um, yes ... When ya gonna learn, Andrew?
Learn what? You made an understandable mixup between Phil Ramone (who was being discussed here) and Phil Spector (of "Wall of Sound" fame in the old days, and murdering-his-girlfriend right now). I corrected the mistake.
And now you blather on about how it really wasn't a mistake, but then you recognize that it was, kinda, but I'm still in the wrong, yadayadayada ...
: Phil Ramone engineered the Gene Pitney session where the "wall of sound" : micing technique first became generally known when released.
The term "Wall of Sound" is connected to Spector, not Ramone.
In the : recording business, producer's request a certain sound, the engineers job is : to develop the "technique" to get the sound, and IIRC, Spector was not even : a producer on this particular session.
: That Larry Levine used the same techniques on later recordings when : engineering for Spector only proves Spector's genius for publicity.
: That said, you are indeed correct about my mix-up with "the Phils" with : regard to the "mysterious murder" ...
Which was, if you go back and reread my post, the sum total of what I said.
a rare occurrence and your very first : success since you started your attempts at correcting, with obvious DAGS : garnered knowledge, the more knowledgeable.
You're more knowledgable, are you now? Not about what's being discussed here, apparently!
    -- Andy Barss
"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

That relying on third hand information from DAGS is often dangerous to a know-it-all like you, Andrew.

Certainly "connected" by the unwashed public, with limited understanding of the process and the actual events, and those, like you, who rely on DAGS for their "information" ... but that doesn't make it any more correct than the common place "connecting" of Henry Ford with inventing the automobile, or the Wrights, the airplane.
If Spector had so much as touched a microphone during the mentioned session, which is considered by _those in the industry_ to be the beginning of what became the wall of sound micing technique, an engineering technique much practiced by recording engineers since, including those like Larry Levine who worked with Spector, who certainly got the press and fame for using/overusing it, there would likely have been a much earlier murder, with a different subject.
Now, go ahead and DAGS who the engineer was on the "Every Breath I Take" session and get back to us, Andrew ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07