Triton 3 1/4 HP Router---Good Price.

So my Dewalt DW621 has died. Said it would cost around $160 to fix. Time for a new router. I started looking into the 2 1/4 HP Triton and quickly found that availability is quite scarce. Either way, they are priced at around $189-$200+. I discovered the 3 1/4 HP is more available but is going for around $300, until I checked Woodcraft. They've got the 3 1/4 HP TRC001 for $214, only $5 more than the 2 1/4 HP version. Considering this will be largely used in a table, I figured what the hay and ordered it. Now, there's a small anomaly with their site. It looks like they've fixed it today but yesterday they listed it as the TRC001 router but yet when you checked out, it showed up as the TRA001. According to the Tech guy, Doug, they are one and the same. One comes from Australia and the other from Canada. So anyway, I ordered and it's due here Saturday so if you're at all interested in which model I get, I can let you know. Either way, it appears to be a decent deal. Cheers, cc

James "Cubby" Culbertson

Toller

SNIP

interested in which model I get, I can let you >know. Either way, it

More than exactly what you got, I would be more interested in how you like it. I have had PC, Bosch and DeWalt routers for years. Each took a little to get used to, but not much.

But there was something abou that Triton I just never got comfortable with. I don't really know what it was, maybe just too long a time with other tools. But it never really felt right in my hands. If you park this one under a table it should be a delight, but if you do any handwork with it, I would like to hear what you think.

BTW, what happened to the 621 that is so damned expensive to repair? Is the shop just drilling you ($160!!!), or did soemthing catastrophic happen? Were you using it under a table?

Inquiring minds, you know...

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I've had one in a table for over a year. I am still very, very pleased with it. I love the bit changing. I have a Dewalt 621 which I use just for handheld use. The only "issue" I had was the port for a vacuum connection. Its a really, really oddball threaded size and I never could find anything to connect to it, so I gave up and worked out dust collection under the table instead.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Maybe because it is "BUTT UGLY".

I have had one almost 3 years now and it hangs upside down in a Bench Dog router table. I have never used it free hand.

But it never really felt right in my hands. If you

IMHO almost perfect under the table. Some reviews claim that it is tough to get to the controlls with it hanging upside down. I suppose they never heard of turning the unit around. I have mine hanging so that the lock lever, coarse height adjustment knob, and fine tune adjustment knob are on the right side. The on/off switch which has to be turned on and off mechanically so that you can raise the bit for removal is located on the back left side. You soon learn to feel and blindly push the guard door over and turn the unit on with your left hand after changing bits. The speed control is hidden on the bottom of the back side. I use a mirror to see and change the speed controll dial when I need to to that, Or you can lift the unit out of the table and look directly at the dial if you have it mounted on a removable plate. I keep my plate screwed down. Collet tightening and loosening requires about 1/16 of a turn from full loose to full tight. That takes a bit of getting used to and is not a problem when the router is mounted in a table. Having to hold the router with one hand and the wrench in another hand might be more troublesome in a free hand set up. This is where the better "two wrench" collet set up would be much better. Under the table the locking shaft and single wrench work out fine.

I currently have an "old" B&D, and 2 Bosch routers. This Triton replaced the Big Bosch Plunge router under the table. Fit and finish is not as good as the other routers but performs every bit as good as the other routers.

The speed EVS seems to do well when spinning raised panel bits.

I bought the router when the price was a bit north of $300 and still feel that it is worth that amount. Knowing today that you can typically get the router for at least $75 cheaper does not make me think that I should have waited.

Pontiac Aztec ugly, keep it hidden behind doors in a router cabinet and you'll be fine. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

that there is no difference between the A and the C. I remember reading on an Australian forum that several improvements have been made on the C. R!

Reply to
ROY!

No kidding! I thought I was the only one. Everyone raves about this machine so much I just kept quiet.

router table. I have never used it free hand.

I love the way my DW625 feels in the hand since i made a large 3/8 inch pheonlic base for it. It is like a portable milling machine. But in fairness, it spends almost all its time hanging upside down in the table, too.

router for at least $75 cheaper does not make me think that I >should have waited.

Now that tells you that you made a wise purchase. Appreciate the machine review. I had never seen much from anyone that used them, just used one a little to try it out. The only other source of info has been the wood mags which have all flogged it to death.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

The woodworking magazine version of the recording studio magazine version of another article on Phil Ramone. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

I'll report back after I get it and put a few boards through it. It's going into a table setup so I'm hoping it'll work well in that application.

Yeah, it seems a bit "clunky" for a handheld. I plan eventually to replace my DW621 with something I can use handheld.

I was using the DW621 in a table, for about 95% of it's life (5 years). I was routing a groove and it made a strange noise. I finished the groove and when I turned it off, I knew something was wrong. The bit stopped spinning almost immediately when I powered it down. I took it all apart and discovered the fan was rubbing against the lower part of the housing. Took it in and they said the bearings , armature, brush holders, and ?? all needed replacing. Hell, the armature alone is like $90.

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Yeah, I found that out after posting this. I did see however that the "C" model does incorporate a number of improvements so when I ordered from Woodcraft, I made sure that's what they were sending. I see now their webpage says it's the "TRA" model. I'll be curious to see what ends up on my doorstep tomorrow. cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

I'll bet.

I can only imagine (of course while humming "hey, ho, let's go!")

Hey... at least it wasn't "I Wanna Be Sedated"!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

That would have been Joey Ramone. No relation to Phil that I know of. Still, The Ramones did the penultimate version of What A Wonderful World. Great band. Refreshing. Offspring does a nice version of "I Wanna Be Sedated"!

Reply to
Robatoy

Still, The Ramones did the penultimate >version of What A Wonderful World.

Well, Swing shot that one right over my head!

I never could keep any of the Ramones straight after I found out none of them had the name "Ramone" and that they only took it as an affectation for the band.

I thought Phil Ramone actually produced the Ramones, but an internet look at his body of work revealed there was not a remote chance that he did.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I don't think The Ramones were ever produced..

Reply to
Robatoy

Hah! With that level of joyful mayhem, you are probably 100% right!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Indeed. I like a little carnage in my music once in a while.

Sarnia, Ontario, my home town, is hosting another Bayfest with a big line-up. Nickelback, Toby Keith. Aerosmith, Def Leapard...NONE of which interest me... well maybe a few songs by Keith because he always has a great band... but not for that kinda money

I want is an evening with The Brian Setzer Orchestra.

Reply to
Robatoy

Right!

I as working in a NYC rehearsal studio ~ 1988, with The Ramones in another room on the same floor. The bathrooms were located off the common hallway / elevator lobby.

Whenever someone would open the door to The Ramones' room to head out to the men's room, it sounded like a jet was landing on the roof. There was simply a brutal wall of sound that just hammered the building, almost like compressed air!

It was great...

Another tenant on the same floor was Kiss, who had nothing on the sheer volume of The Ramones.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Ok, the router arrived today. It came in a box labelled TRA001. However, the nameplate on the router itself says TRC001. It doesn't have a dust guard for the switch and I understand that is one upgrade they did to the TRC001 so now I'm confused. In any case, I'm keeping it and calling them Monday for the dust shield. Gonna try mounting it in my table tonight. I'm building a crib and this kid's growing fast so I gotta get the thing done! Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Think of it as destructive testing then it is not a waste.

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

: LOL ... you're right about that. He is known by recording : engineers/producers for his "wall of sound" techniques back in the glory : days of the recording studio/record company method of album production, and : has since had more magazine articles about him than the ultimate router : table ... and recently a mysterious murder, to boot.

Um, no. That's Phil Spector. Phil Ramone is a very different guy.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss