trip to Switzerland

Hi,

I am planning a business trip to Geneva, Switzerland but want to visit some historical sites and some woodworking related sites. Can anyone recommend things to see related to woodworking? Also, any good supply (tools) stores in the Geneva area? Any links to supply stores in the Geneva area?

Thanks,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Fleisher

Brienz has woodcarving as well as Bern, IIRC. Visited back in late 60's but I doubt much has changed.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

On Tue, 3 May 2005 19:41:09 -0400, the inscrutable "Jeff Fleisher" spake:

Having never been to Europe, I can't answer your questions. BUT... If you're into woodcarving at all, pick up a set of Pfeil carving gouges while you're there.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hi Jeff,

The Black Forest (Schwartzwald) area of Germany is not far from the Swiss border. There's a stretch of small towns (Triberg and Gutach are the ones I remember) that constitute a beautifully scenic tourist area with many souvenir shops featuring clocks, carvings, and many other items. Some of these have windows into the production area that allow you to watch the carvers and craftsmen at work. Absolutely riveting!

The benefits of a tourist area are that everyone speaks English, takes Visa/Master Card, and will ship your purchases to the US for a reasonable charge - I'm sure a box of nice, sharp chisels would raise some eyebrows among the airport screeners. Enjoy.

Buddy

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

Jeff, call Wayne Barton. He lived in Awitzerland for a long time.

Joel

Reply to
joeljcarver