trip to Berlin

I am going to Berlin, Germany on a business trip in the near future and was wondering if there was anything to see woodworking or woodcarving related in Berlin. Can anyone recommend any exhibits? supply stores? gallaries? Interesting sightseeing locations that have interesting woodworks or carvings? Thanks, Jeff

www.feine-werkzeuge.de
calmly ranted:

Perhaps you can find good prices on Kirschen (Two Cherries) [or better yet, Pfeil (Swiss Made)] gouges.
Other than that, I've never been to Germany.
--
STOP THE SLAUGHTER! || http://diversify.com
Boycott Baby Oil! || Programmed Websites

was
in
On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 09:10:31 -0400, Jeff Fleisher wrote:

It can be confusing figuring out where you are - many of the streets have the same name - Einbahn Strasse ;-)
-Doug
--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples
then you and I will still each have one apple.

Coming out of the airport, all roads lead to Ausfahrt.     j4
Just found what appears to be a decent on-line word translator: http://www.dict.cc/ . Give it a try.

And in the bakeries, you want to get the 'da von' (da phone). Works even better with you hands in your pockets. ;-)
Patriarch
Jeff Fleisher wrote:

Two Cherries (Zweis Kirchen?) chisels are pretty cheap and sold in hardware stores and their version of The Borg/home center. Take your inches to millimeters table with you. Two Cherries chisels there are like Sears/Buck chisels are seen here - everyday useable tools.
For carving chisels find a cutlery shop - they often carry them. Pfiel (Pfeil?) and Stubai are often in stock - handles are extra and they come rough ground so figure on some sharpening and honing. Decide the numbers that you want beforehand - the chisels are often all together in a cardboard box and the person helping you may not know much if anything about carving chisels. And be aware that there are at least two numbering systems for carving tools so taking pictures or diagrams of # to shape & size is a good idea.
As for woodworking to see, most of Europe has outrageous wooden doors that often are massive. History museums often have a section on woodworking.
If you don't speak German get the German words for chisels, planes, carving chisels, hardware store, home center, building center and cutlery shop. Be aware that there may be a value added tax VAT not included in the price sticker on the tool.
If the metro in Berlin is anything like the metro in Munich or Vienna find a metro map on the net and get your bearings before you get in a car. The metro is great in most euro cities. BTW- public restrooms are usually Pay the Attendant on the Way In and are normally spotless!
charlie b

Zwei Kirschen is closer. You might have stumbled upon twos churches or somesuch. My German vocabulary has about disintregrated. Sigh. I can still order a Paulaner or two.     j4
<snip>

It's been 33 years since I was there, and then only in the West zone, but the metro (U-Bahn) was as good then as anything in the world. I don't know what I would have done with a car that I couldn't do with public transporatation. Without the Wall now, maybe much different, but within the city, no problems.
The citizens of Berlin were the nicest, friendliest people you could imagine. The museums, churches and palaces were pretty cool, too.
If I could just convince my wife to fly, we'd go back for a long visit...
Patriarch

know
I was only about 8 or 9 when I lived in West Berlin right across from Spandau (street & prison), I only remember bumpy busrides on many cobbled streets, The Berlin bear just outside the zoo & seemingly endless rainy days shuffling down the city sidewalks with my mum.
--
Jon Down

was
in
The region that is now modern Germany was home about 600 years ago to Tillmann Riemenschneider, a woodcarver of incredible talent. Google his name for more information. In Munich we saw an altar carved by him and I nearly cried.
Bob
Check out this web site before you go:
Dieter Schmid Fine Tools Cauerstrasse 18 10587 Berlin Germany Telephone: +49 30 342 1757 Fax: +49 30 342 1764 Email: snipped-for-privacy@fine-tools.com Website: http://www.fine-tools.com