Trimming the edges of a square table top

Greetings,

I have a table top(unfinished)of solid walnut, 26 by 1 inch thick. My table saw can only cut up to 24 inches. These are glued up boards and are rough at the side. I'd like to make the edges as smooth as possible so that the end caps will match perfectly. I have the usual assortment of tools (radial arm saw, router - handheld and table mounted, power hand planner and sander. Any ideas?

Thank you.

Reply to
Michael Rodriguez

For SWMBO's Christmas present, I rough cut with a sabre saw, then used a router and a straight edge for the finished edge.

Reply to
Charles Krug

Get a 1"+ trimming bit and go for it with a router and straightedge.

dave

Michael Rodriguez wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I have a 1/2 x 2" straight bit I use for just such occasions.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

If you have a router table with a fence, you can use it as a jointer to joint one edge straight and perpendicular. That becomes the reference for doing the adjacent edge, etc. When doing the adjacent edge, you would use a straight edge clamped to the top and then the router base follows that to route a straight edge on that side. Repeat for the other two sides. Requires careful setup to insure that your next edge is exactly 90 deg from the reference edge but certainly do-able with a bit of patience and a accurate means of insure 90 deg (like a Starett Try Square or similar).

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Hello MR,

As long as the two "Long Grain"surfaces are parallel any of the router techniques previously posted will work. Please keep in mind that walnut is a hardwood and based on your router's HP...(horsepower) and the sharpness of your router bit you should be advised to take it slow and easy. There are a couple reasons for this...

#1: SAFETY

#2: Edge Burning

With a less than ulitmate setup you may find yourself sanding/filing endgrain for hours. A newish bit and a good router will give your the professional result. Best to use a router table set up with the joiner fence as described previously. You will spend a bit more time during setup but will be really happy with the results.

Eat a Tree...We all need fiber...

TJB

Reply to
terry boivin

Trimmers like these at the

will waste that top in stages. If the straight templet is arrow straight without defects, the edge (table) will be laser straight.

Routerman P. Warner