Trimming out doors and windows

I am trying to trim out the doors in a style from earlier times. I use pli nth blocks (5 quarter by 4 about 7" tall), vertical columns (1x4) with flut es, and corner blocks ( 5 quarter 4x4 with daisy designs). The top is a 1x

4 without decoration. The trick seems to be to get everything plumb and sq uare - and with no gaps between the 7 pieces in the assembly. Possible?

My first attempt was to square the plinth blocks with the floor so that the tops of the plinths were truly horizontal. Then glue each plinth block, c olumn, and corner square together - making a single column. Then install the two columns and finally fit in the top (horizontal) piece.

Never could get it without some gaps and fill required. Am I trying too ha rd? Is it possible in real life?

Len

Reply to
Len

Interesting..... Since the door is installed and the trim goes to that door, I would start at the top. Space the 1x4 and the decorator corners as to the door width. I would hold in the side trims, and then measure and cut to fit the bottom blocks. Am I missing something? Doors are usually one size, if not cut to fit opening. Doors jambs are plumb to the door itself.... Or adjusted to fit the door. If one size fits all, then I see a problem of not being able to cut the bottom block. Is a small space at the bottom, a shadow line, and problem also.....? John Oh, they sure look nice when finished.

I am trying to trim out the doors in a style from earlier times. I use plinth blocks (5 quarter by 4 about 7" tall), vertical columns (1x4) with flutes, and corner blocks ( 5 quarter 4x4 with daisy designs). The top is a

1x4 without decoration. The trick seems to be to get everything plumb and square - and with no gaps between the 7 pieces in the assembly. Possible?

My first attempt was to square the plinth blocks with the floor so that the tops of the plinths were truly horizontal. Then glue each plinth block, column, and corner square together - making a single column. Then install the two columns and finally fit in the top (horizontal) piece.

Never could get it without some gaps and fill required. Am I trying too hard? Is it possible in real life?

Len

Reply to
jloomis

The only experience I have is with my own doors. I installed the casing, fitted plinths and corners to that. That worked for me because I tiled up to the plinths. In your case, I would do the plinths, then casing, fit corner blocks to what is then there.

Reply to
dadiOH