Trimming Edging

Page 1 of 2
I've got some plywood with a hardwood edging glued on. The edging is thick (1/8-3/16") and a little larger than the plywood, so it needs to be trimmed to exact size.
A hand plane is working pretty well, but occasionally it catches the plywood. I do have a router with flush trim bit, but it tends to be rather difficult to handle on cuts like this.
What can I do to trim the edging without messing up the plywood?
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Puckdropper wrote:

I frequently use a small Stanley plane like this: http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=PLANES&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER -101&SDesc=Small+Trimming+Plane
I keep it very sharp and hold it almost perpendicular to the edging, sliding along it and cutting from the inside.
I suppose the problem you have with the router and flush trim but is keeping the router stable on the narrow edge? You can mitigate that by clamping a 1x or 2x along the edge to widen it.
You can also trim it with a router riding on the plywood surface. You have to temporarily attach a partial plate to the router so it is elevated above the edging and so that thebit is free; you then lower the bit to almost kiss the ply and then trim the edging. Much easier to do this when only twp parallel sides are edged...do those, apply the other two edging strips, trim those.
Mostly, I use the little plane. And yes, it is easier to use than a block plane, much smaller, easy to use in one hand, guiding and controling it with one hand.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I had the same problems. With the iron-on veneer trim, it's relatively easy with either a sharp utility knife, or a medium-fine rasp file, followed by careful sanding. The 1/4" solid wood is different. I had the most luck with the "Flush-trim Jig" described in Shopnotes August 2010.
--
Best regards
Han

In similar cases in the past, I've trimmed the edging down using a scraper.
On 3/28/2012 4:26 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

The problem is the router has a tendency to tip because it riding on such a thin edge.
Simplest solution is to clamp more plywood flush with the edge the router is riding on to give you a thicker, more stable, base for your router base to sit on.
Good opportunity to buy a laminate trimmer, like the Bosch Colt, which is made for that very task and much easier to handle.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

Or the one from HF, which is about $100 cheaper ($28 vs $125). http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-inch-trim-router-44914.html
On 3/28/12 7:57 AM, HeyBub wrote:

I was going to buy that but upon closer inspection, discovered the base/fence were absolute crap and virtually unusable. Besides that, it seemed fine. :-)
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

I wouldn't know. I've always used a trimming bit.

I received one of those HF trimmers as a gift a number of years ago... it remains in the box as the base/fence are, as noted above, virtually unusable. Perhaps there is a way to make it work that is counterintuitive (compared to all the Porter Cable, Jet and Delta tools I own)???
John

I'll second that! I bought a Colt about six months ago for just that reason, and now I'm wondering how I ever got along without one.

I haven't tried this with a smaller router, but the big one still wanted to tip a bit. I'll have to give it a try with the smaller router.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Puckdropper wrote:

It helps if you don't use the router handles to hold move it. Try using your thumbs on the baseplate with fingers extending down onto each side of the ply to help steady it vertically.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 3/28/2012 3:16 PM, dadiOH wrote:

On 3/28/2012 4:26 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

Clamp a piece of 2x4 between the piece you are working on and another piece set at the same height as you are working on. Your router now has a 3 inch wide platform to set on.
On 28 Mar 2012 09:26:01 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:>I've got some plywood with a hardwood edging glued on. The edging is thick

Are you careful to check the grain before planing?

Tape off the plywood with a gap between the tape and edging, then smooth it with a cabinet scraper. (my choice) I don't put a hook on scrapers, preferring to use them honed, not burnished. They're a bit less aggressive that way, and the edge seems to last longer.
or
Set up your regular router (with a wide enough bit) to cut an RCH above flush, lay another piece of the same plywood next to the edging for support, and run that puppy over the edging. Sand to fit.
or
Get a violinmaker's plane and use it. Use a very thin clamp-on board as a fence to keep the blade off the plywood. It requires precision. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p2680&cat=1,230,41182
-- "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

I don't have a scraper, but it looks like one'll be easy enough to make. I've got an old saw that's not worth my time to sharpen and some method to cut a piece off... (Lotsa options, probably try the hacksaw first then the angle grinder.)

I'm not sure how that would work. Wouldn't the base of the router tend to ride up on the edging, preventing the bit from making a square cut?

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 28 Mar 2012 14:30:41 GMT, Puckdropper

Go for it!

Oops! You're right. (Armchair suggestion.) So, first, file a small groove in your base plate, or make a new C-style base plate.

Oops, forgot one. I have a set of these and they're great for tiny work. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p2681&cat=1,50230 These might be the easiest tool for your task, Pucky.
-- "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
On 3/28/2012 5:26 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

Hmmm. I tried to post this from Google Groups earlier, but no luck.
I'm a novice, but this is what I did. My edging was oak 1x2; it was the 3/4" edge that needed trimming. I set a rabbet plane to 3/4" width and a pretty fine cut. The fence kept me from straying onto the main surface.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/6248117874/lightbox / http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/6247597691/lightbox /
I took the pics after I had trimmed the edge, to show someone what I had done. I think I used the depth gauge, set level with the sole of the plane, although it's not shown in the photo. It worked well.
On 3/28/2012 9:46 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Sorry. Of course the gauge would have been set slightly /below/ the sole of the plane, even with the cutting edge of the iron.