Trimming countertop power tool

Looking for tool type, brand and source.

When installing a laminated countertop on kitchen cabinets, the installer had some sort of router which trimmed the side and back edges of the counter to fit the contour of the walls. He did this without scribing.

Any idea what power tool this may be? Seemed to be a specialized tool. Unfortunately installer was somewhat protective of it and would not let one examine it too close.

Reply to
Franz Fripplfrappl

Possibly something like this, with one of the bases installed:

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Thanks. I checked the site and this may be the gadget used.

Reply to
Franz Fripplfrappl

Those types of trimmers are designed to trim laminate, not countertops. They simply don't have the stamina to cut through 11/16 particle board/MDF with laminate on top. If the countertop is the post-formed variety, with backsplash already attached, it is possible if the particle board is undercut ahead of time (either a bevel or a rabbet), leaving a thin edge, which a trimmer with an offset base can negotiate.

I used a triangular base on a 2 HP Bosch with a bearing bolted on one corner. I then pulled the counter away from the wall, found the distance between the bearing and the bit, turned on the router and followed the wall. Router orientation was critical and not for the squeamish. Corners would still have to be scribed and finished with a 1" Makita belt sander. (Those little Makita belt sanders are the cat's pyjamas, too bad they want so much money for them.)

2 cents, no change.
Reply to
Robatoy

Laminate trimmer with a scribe base installed. Porter Cable, among others, makes such a tool.

Dave

Franz Fripplfrappl wrote:

Reply to
David