Trim router base

I have a Ridgid laminate trimmer. It has a small round base (like a mini router). I find is somewhat difficult to balance the router on the edge of the work and trim. I'd like to remove the clear base that came with it and make a rectangular base that is easier to balance. The base needs to be low friction and long wear. I'm assuming nylon is the best material to buy? Thanks

Reply to
SimonLW

1/4" Lexan would be great.

I make lots of router bases with 1/4" tempered hardboard, the hardboard that's smooth on both sides. A little wax helps it grove and should protect from wear.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Good plan. i outfitted my handheld router with rectangular place about 3x8 and have not taken it off since.

It's made of Phenolic (sp?) resin... it was part of a 9x12 "sheet that i intended to make a router table insert from.... but a decade later it was still unused.

I made the hole V shaped (open to the front) this allows me to do flush-cutting of pins. I have even used this technique to trim down a blue electrical box that was a little proud of the wallboard.

(yes I turned off the circuit breaker)

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M