Trim out stairs

I'm working on refinishing our basement and the previous owner did not leave a consistent (or continuous) space between the stairs and the drywall for the skirt to fit. It appears I have only two options: make the space or notch the skirt. The latter would appear (to me) to be a more difficult task and mistakes would cost roughly $50 a crack (price for a new skirt). The first option could be done two ways: remove each step, trim off the length, & re-install; or somehow cut them in place. Not real sure there is a way to cut them in place, but a toe-kick saw looked somewhat promising. Has anyone encountered this problem before and may have some advice, tips, etc? Thanks in advance...

I've done a number of these notch jobs - pretty easy if the finish is carpet and almost required if the treads are glued. Make the plumb and level cuts as if you werer going to slip it in the space. Tack it to the wall above the stairs, parallel to the nosing line. Transfer the riser cut locations with a level (use attached scraps to avoid the nosing overhang). Measure up front and rear to mark the tread cuts (if carpet + good rough carpentry, this can be quick). After cutting the first one, try it on the other side before going through the entire drill a second time.