Trim coming apart

My parents had some trimwork done 14 years ago. I noticed that some of the fabricated columns are showing lines at the butt joints of the 1x6's. Is this to be expected after this length of time, or is there something the builder could have done to prevent this?
Also, there is some decoration at the top that my father said was "tacked on". It has cracks in it. I'm wondering if the builder glued it on and the cross grain expansion caused it to crack?
Thanks for any thoughts.
On 26 Dec 2006 07:08:21 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@boundvortex.com wrote:

Can you put up some photos in A.B.P.W. or a photo sharing site (Yahoo, etc...)?
Many of us can tell you what went wrong if we can see the problem.