Triangular Case for Flag Display

I've been looking for plans I could use to build a triangular case to display the flag my mother received during funeral services for my father. I've seen references to plans available on the Woodworkers United For America website

but that web address is apparently no longer active. So.....

If anyone out there knows how I could get hold of the plans, I'd sure appreciate hearing from you. I'd really like to get going on the display case for my mother.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Ktonic

Try here:

Frank Campbell

"WOOD" magazine had a project like this in an issue about a year ago. Sorry, I'm out of town right now and not able to look up which issue. Built one for my Dad's flag. Nice project!

DexAZ

Reply to
DexAZ

I'm actually right in the middle of building a case from the plans at this website. It's a good plan with enough detailed instructions to make a pretty good product. They also have some decent pictures to go along with the plan. I'm making mine out of Walnut.

Reply to
Anthony

I was in search of the same thing a few months back...my dad passed away recently, too (last November). You may want to do a Google groups search under my ID (PC_Gameplayer) and look for that thread...I also got a couple off line replies from some darned nice folks in the group. If you don't find what you're looking for, email me offline and I'll send you what I have.

Good luck, and my sympathies on the loss of your father.

Jim

Reply to
PC Gameplayer

There's one here in this document:

Copernic, very useful internet search tool...

Reply to
Mr. Clean

I hate to sound "whatever" but why do you need a set of plans? It is a simple triangular case with a either matching or overhanging glass lid.

Measure the demsions of the flag, use that as your inside length on the sides. Cut a 60 degree miter on the corners, rout a 1/4 dado about a half inch up from the bottom on all three pieces. Cut a piece of plywood to size for the bottom, which you could do by tracing the inside of the dry fitted case and cut the plywood to that size PLUS the depth of the dado, on 3ach side. Or forgoing the dado, you could tack on a strip to mount the plywood to. The make the top to match the bottom.

Deb

Reply to
Delbert Freeman

Wed, Jul 14, 2004, 3:19pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@mon-cre.net (Delbert=A0Freeman) queries: I hate to sound "whatever" but why do you need a set of plans? It is a simple triangular case with a either matching or overhanging glass lid. Measure the demsions of the flag,

That would presume that you actually have the flag to measure, or already know the dimensions. Different size flags, different dimensions. Flags for military funerals are a standard size, and not received until after the funeral. Ergo, you get plans, if you want to have the case ready for it beforehand.

JOAT

We've got a lot of experience of not having any experience.

- Nanny Ogg

Reply to
J T

Actually they can differ in size. I found this out after making a mock up for my dad's flag and it wouldn't fit. I pursued the issue and spoke with a Marine honor guard who said that yes then can vary by a couple of inchs based on how tight they were folded. I made mine to measure after having the flag in hand. Bernie

That would presume that you actually have the flag to measure, or already know the dimensions. Different size flags, different dimensions. Flags for military funerals are a standard size, and not received until after the funeral. Ergo, you get plans, if you want to have the case ready for it beforehand.

JOAT

We've got a lot of experience of not having any experience.

- Nanny Ogg

Reply to
Bernie Hunt

Thu, Jul 15, 2004, 2:45am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (Bernie=A0Hunt) Actually they can differ in size. I found this out after making a mock up for my dad's flag and it wouldn't fit. I pursued the issue and spoke with a Marine honor guard who said that yes then can vary by a couple of inchs based on how tight they were folded. I made mine to measure after having the flag in hand.

Haven't made one, but had been given to understand that plans are sized to take care of any variances in folding - one size fits all. Regardless, I'm not sticking around until after my own funeral, just to custom fit a flag in one.

JOAT

We've got a lot of experience of not having any experience.

- Nanny Ogg

Reply to
J T

If this is so important, why be so cheap as to look for 'Free' plans ?

My wife used to keep her father's flag stuffed in an envelope in the back of the closet. When I found out about it, I showed her how to fold it, PROPERLY. This also started me thinking about making a case.

There are a few different plans available from the usual 'craft catalogs'. So as not to upset my wife - I 'quietly' purchased one from Maisel - about $13.oo. I procrastinated for years, until a neighbor mentioned she was going to buy one for her husband, from a funeral home . . . $400.oo !! Joanne knew I had the plans all along and said - 'Let Ron build it for you'.

I used 3/4 Mahogany and 6 coats of Spar varnish. Rather than just glue, I also used Marine Bronze screws to both hold certain parts, and as a simple decoration. I made 3 pieces - one for the neighbor, one for Joanne, and one for e-bay {If I didn't 'screw-up' either of the 'important' ones}. The 'sold' on went to some one in similar circumstances - a son, buying it for his mother, for his brother's flag.

Ron Magen