Trend Airshield revisited

Concerning nasal/lung/airway protection. The Trend Airshield has been around for at least 9 months now. Has anyone here had any long term experience with this product? How well does the filter work?

Per their literature:

"The filter is tested against Sodium Chloride aerosol 0.02 to 2 micron with a mass median particle size of 0.6 micron. For use against solid and water based aerosols only."

How does this compare with N95 type filter elements?

I like the fit and comfort of the AOSafety CoolMax filters, but it would be nice to keep the sawdust out of my eyes and tear ducts.

I could try putting a filter mask over my eyes, but it may hinder the accuracy of my cuts.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

ww.newbie

rick

Reply to
whateverwood

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 03:04:40 -0800, "whateverwood" calmly ranted:

That 70db motor is going to be a bit noisy when the equipment is off but the dust is still in the air. Look at their replacement parts prices, too. Not exactly cheap. I bet you'd have at least $500 tied up in that mask system within 5 years. Health is invaluable, but that's maintainable for a lot less money.

Close. It's hard to tell. The NIOSH standards are writtern to match existing filtering materials, and those all vary in description.

Does this help?

Get a full-face shield instead. $6-$12 at HF and other stores. I bought the AO Safety Pro faceshield at HF and the lexan is nice and shatterproof.

For that price, you can buy several CASEs of the CoolMax filters (or a $25 half-face cannister respirator for solvent/finish fumes) and add the face shield. Also think about going to N98, N99, or N100 filters for just a few dollars more.

-------------------------------------- PESSIMIST: An optimist with experience --------------------------------------------

- Web Database Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

woodworking from the comfort of your favourite living room chair.

Reply to
mp

Thanks Larry! Those are all good points. Guess I'll take that off my Xmas list.

Reply to
whateverwood

Cool! I'll add this to my Xmas list right away. Do you think Rockler stocks that?

Reply to
whateverwood

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:09:28 -0800, "whateverwood" calmly ranted:

If you want a supplied-air mask, look or Ebay or in local dive shops (if you live near a body of water) for used portable diving compressors. They'd probably be cheaper.

around tied to a hose isn't my idea of fun in the shop.