Trend Airshield revisited

Concerning nasal/lung/airway protection. The Trend Airshield has been around for at least 9 months now. Has anyone here had any long term experience with this product? How well does the filter work?
Per their literature:
"The filter is tested against Sodium Chloride aerosol 0.02 to 2 micron with a mass median particle size of 0.6 micron. For use against solid and water based aerosols only."
How does this compare with N95 type filter elements?
I like the fit and comfort of the AOSafety CoolMax filters, but it would be nice to keep the sawdust out of my eyes and tear ducts.
I could try putting a filter mask over my eyes, but it may hinder the accuracy of my cuts.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks!
ww.newbie
rick
On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 03:04:40 -0800, "whateverwood"

That 70db motor is going to be a bit noisy when the equipment is off but the dust is still in the air. Look at their replacement parts prices, too. Not exactly cheap. I bet you'd have at least $500 tied up in that mask system within 5 years. Health is invaluable, but that's maintainable for a lot less money.

Close. It's hard to tell. The NIOSH standards are writtern to match existing filtering materials, and those all vary in description. http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/respguid.html Does this help?

Get a full-face shield instead. $6-$12 at HF and other stores. I bought the AO Safety Pro faceshield at HF and the lexan is nice and shatterproof.

For that price, you can buy several CASEs of the CoolMax filters (or a $25 half-face cannister respirator for solvent/finish fumes) and add the face shield. Also think about going to N98, N99, or N100 filters for just a few dollars more.
-------------------------------------- PESSIMIST: An optimist with experience -------------------------------------------- www.diversify.com - Web Database Development
Thanks Larry! Those are all good points. Guess I'll take that off my Xmas list.
calmly ranted:

with
water
be
On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:09:28 -0800, "whateverwood"

If you want a supplied-air mask, look or Ebay or in local dive shops (if you live near a body of water) for used portable diving compressors. They'd probably be cheaper. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categoryC617&item854999260
Running around tied to a hose isn't my idea of fun in the shop.
-------------------------------------- PESSIMIST: An optimist with experience -------------------------------------------- www.diversify.com - Web Database Development

http://courses.dce.harvard.edu/~cscie160/040400hth-robot-surgery_3.jpg
Remote woodworking from the comfort of your favourite living room chair.
Cool! I'll add this to my Xmas list right away. Do you think Rockler stocks that?