tree removal arrangement

Page 1 of 3
scenario
property owner has a tree they want removed
depending on the tree size and location it can be very expensive to have them removed by a pro
the location matters for lots of reasons
proximity to structures some localities require permits to remove trees and fines if you just cut one down without asking
etc
i see lots of ads on craigslist for free lumber just come and cut it down
i do not think they really understand what they are askin for because anyone could show up with an axe and a chain saw and wreak havoc
saw an ad recently though for free lumber and they had 50-100 trees
do not know the species
so maybe it all comes down to what species and how big and how much work
has anyone devised a model or spreadsheet that can begin to determine the economy of this pursuit
i am leaning toward making the property owner pay some money no matter what just because of the amount of work and threat to life and limb
"Electric Comet" wrote in message

There are a lot of "it depends" questions that go along with this...
Will the trees yield mill logs in regards to size?
Hardwoods/Softwoods?
Is this a clear cutting project where everything has to go?
Is it a TSI project (Timber Stand Improvement) where generally only cull trees are being offered? Cull could be dead/damaged/leaner trees that may be firewood only.
Does the brush (i.e., tops and limbs) need to be chipped, or need to be cut sufficiently to have it lay fairly flat, or can you leave it lay as cut?
Possible answers include:
Mill logs... the cutter generally pays the land owner for those and the price depends on anticipated yield and species and the market at time of cutting.
TSI, what is it worth as firewood and can you process the wood economically? Is there anything worth milling? There could be some trees with great character that are nasty looking and not of interest to a commercial milling operation but that could yield great wood via custom cutting with a chainsaw mill or bandsaw mill.
Clear cutting... that’s almost always a “they pay” proposition and millable logs are a bonus.
How you perceive all of this in the context of the trees offered is up to you... At the end you may feel like you won or you may feel like you lost financially. Then again, if you simply like cutting trees down and the wood/money is secondary that can work too!
On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 17:19:48 -0400

you make a lot of good points and show that this makes a good case for a computer model using a spreadsheet at least and maybe a full blown computer program to try to find the best arrangement
but there are probably too many unknowns that can be inserted into the formula for the model to be accurate
i still lean toward charging the tree owner some amount in these cases even if it was excellent lumber
if they balk then it is time to walk they would probably call back when they get quotes from others
On 4/28/2016 3:51 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

To me, it sounds like some cheap SOB is willing to take some risk to get rid of a tree. They are looking for a guy that thinks he is getting a freebie for a little labor.
As a homeowner, no one is taking a saw to a branch until they give me a certificate of insurance with my name on it. This is a routine thing that the agency does to prove coverage. As the guy taking down the tree I'd want to be covered in case the homeowner tries to sue me for dropping a big branch on his cat.
I had a tree taken down a couple of weeks ago. It had little value for wood cut into boards, but did yield some firewood.
In my case, I paid $400 to have it taken down. If I was doing it for the wood value, I'd be working for a very low wage. Unless you can get a good yield of a prime species like cherry or walnut, I'd want to get paid.
You really have to look at the shole situation like you are now. Equipment involved risk, yield, time, expectation of clearing everything away. My guess is you are dealing with a cheap ass homeowner that thinks he is giving you a great gift. They will be a PITA do deal with.
On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 7:59:46 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Exactly. They advertise "free wood" but what they actually want is "free work."
On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 20:59:44 -0400

the insurance is important point
in my travels over craigslist around the country i see many listings saying free trees just come and cut it down
most are just a single tree and usually those single trees are close to dwellings
the posters are not grasping that anyone can buy a chain saw and show up to cut the tree
but if the homeowner is on a limited budget they may just be trying to find a way to remove a potentially dangerous tree
but they find themselves in much worse shape if things go bad during the tree cutting
On 5/7/2016 1:15 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

It may be covered under homeowner's policy. but there could also be liability on the person taking down the tree. You could ask a lawyer but that could cost as much as having a pro cut it down.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You could ask a lawyer for $250 or less.

...and a lawyer's answer will be "it depends". The question is more of are you willing to go to court (on either side).
On Sat, 7 May 2016 17:55:22 -0400

now if i can find a tree pro that is also a lawyer

Here's a good reason to hire pros:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
PHwb_GgD8
....and these guys are admitted amateurs!
nb
"notbob" wrote in message wrote: >> the posters are not grasping that anyone can buy a chain saw and show

Any one of these guys could show up too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
8tbdu6ugk
On Sat, 7 May 2016 18:52:06 -0400

yeah it can go bad quickly really have to think clearly in these cases
spend 500 or 1000 or more and have it done right
or possibly end up injured for life with destroyed property and now you have to hire someone anyway
i thought they set the palm tree onto the truck nicely
"Electric Comet" wrote in message wrote: > >Any one of these guys could show up too... >yeah it can go bad quickly >really have to think clearly in these cases >spend 500 or 1000 or more and have it done right >or possibly end up injured for life with destroyed property and now

I've taken down about 60-70 trees in the past year... no mishaps and I'm not counting anything under about 5-6" at breast height (ABH). Some of the trees were very technical drops due to the proximity to wires, buildings, fences, swimming pools, etc. The last one was a dead 74' ash that was 30" in diameter ABH. The natural lean and canopy had the center of mass of the tree leaning about 16 feet towards the house. Making matters worse it was within 7" of a shed which made it tricky to cut.
Using a rope saw I cut the limbs off up to about 35 feet or so which got the center of mass down to about 7 feet towards the house. I felled it 90 degrees to the lean using an open face notch, plunge cut to establish the hinge, lots of wedges to hold it in place, and then cut the "trigger." That is, the Game of Logging technique. It ultimately took a 4" glut, 3" of felling wedges, and an 8 lb. sledge hammer to get the tree to fall where I wanted it... it did in fact land where I wanted it. It made some great sounds as it fell! LOL See the short video of the final moments in abpw. The caption was my son's doing. LOL
BTW, I used the Stihl MS461 with 25" bar that I picked up around the first of the year. That 30" tree was no match for the saw! I limbed most of it with my MS271 and used the MS461 on anything over about 6". Also, almost all the trees in the background are dead ash... I took down 29 of them on my parents' property. We need to get the adjoining property owner to take down everything within about 80-90 feet of the shed and property line as they all seem to be leaning towards it!

Nicely swot, John. Got two of them suckers in my back yard. Wanna give them a go? LOL!

"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message

Cutting them down and bucking is challenging and fun... cleaning up the mess isn't...
Fun is mine... mess is yours.
Where are you? LOL

Generally? About 65 NW of (and two lifestyles away from) the Shitty of Chicago (aka Chiraq)
Specifically? About 35' and 95' due west of two dead Ash trees (~ 45 yrs old) that met their match with the Emerald Ash Borer. :(
"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message

I'm about 900 miles east of you... doesn't seem practical!
The Emerald Ash Borer has decimated this area..., e.g., 100s of trees within 300 yards of my parents' house alone.

Cleaning up has ruined a lot of project that were a lot of fun doing.
On Tue, 10 May 2016 08:55:06 -0400

a lot like writing documentation