Tree growth rings disprove that the earth is warmer now than during Roman times and or even 1000 years ago.

Page 5 of 9
On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 06:04:20 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

"real scientists" i.e. those who agree with Larry J :-).

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 16:32:35 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

Sorry to interrupt your wild dreaming, sir. I forgot that you were a True Believer (in AGWK) and should know better than to fool with that. Facts and truth mean nothing to youse guys.
Nexxxxxxxxxt!
-- Win first, Fight later.
--martial principle of the Samurai
On 7/19/2012 8:04 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Larry, theories are just exactly that. Theories.
Real scientist do not attempt to PROVE any theory. They try to DIS-prove it. Because all the positive proofs in the world fall to one simple disproof. That's how science works.
That's the problem with the "science" being offered in this case. Theory is being offered as proof.
The only branch of science that does that is political science. ;)
Richard

"Theory" doesn't mean what you think it does.

No, they try to disprove a "hypothesis". When they can't (for some time and effort spent) it may become a "theory".

Sure, but a disproof is often an expansion of the hypothesis. Newton wasn't wrong but Einstein expanded his theory.

Worse; simulation is being offered as reality.

Anything with "science" in its name, isn't.
On 7/19/2012 1:26 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Yeah, I didn't do that quite right. But I hope the jist of it remains.
And you are smack on about simulations being offered as anything by simulation.
On 7/19/2012 11:53 AM, Richard wrote:

Bingo ... give that man a case of MinWax.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 7/20/2012 7:56 AM, Swingman wrote:

LOL. Well, almost. I kinda skipped the part about the hypothesis coming first. But in this crowd ...
Anyway, thanks for the Minwax!
Richard
On 7/20/2012 9:31 AM, Richard wrote:

A minor issue ... your point rose well above any semantic argument.

Excluded, of course, is any anticipated use on cherry ... ;)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

The point of the "semantic argument" was that not all "theories" are created equal. The "theory of AGW" is no such thing, regardless of what the AGW nuts say. It is an hypothesis, no more. The "Theory of Gravitation" is the counterexample. The issue is science, not religion.

On 7/20/2012 12:48 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

While that is all perfectly true, one must always consider the audience when writing anything.
Say "hi-poth-o-sys" and watch eyes glaze over before the last syllable comes out. The great unwashed masses just don't "get it".
But they know the words "theory" and "proof" (if not the meanings).
By the way, would you like a fresh can of Minwax? I seem to have a surplus here...

OK, let's stipulate that in laymen's terms "theory" becomes "proof" and "hypothesis" becomes "theory". We can't talk about the "Theory of gravitation" and the "theory of AGW" with equivalence. The former becomes the "proof (or law) of gravity"; it has been "proven". You gotta be consistent with your terms or all meaning goes out the window (the whole purpose of moral equivalence - to make all meaning disappear). Science just doesn't work that way.

;-)
On 7/20/2012 3:56 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Yabbut, some scientist are apparently equally adept at splitting hairs, as splitting atoms. <g>
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

They're the type who forgot that they were supposed to be neutral and "took sides", accepting The True Belief about AGWK.
P.S: Genetic scientists are also adept at splitting hares.
-- Win first, Fight later.
--martial principle of the Samurai
On 7/20/2012 3:56 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Ok, I see I still haven't conveyed the message I was trying for yet.
So perhaps I should define my terms?
Great Unwashed Masses - laymen, the common man, those who never read a book, but vote. You know, morons.
Theory - what someone says that they disagree with.
Proof - what someone said that they DO agree with
Science - some mystical religion that makes no sense.
Gravitation - yet anotehr four syllable word (that makes no sense)

Without a common language communication is impossible. If you aren't willing to speak in at least a consistent language, well, you get where we are. That doesn't make it something to cherish.

Jeeze, what'd he do to deserve _that_ nasty punishment, Swingy?
-- Win first, Fight later.
--martial principle of the Samurai
On 7/18/12 7:54 PM, Doug Winterburn wrote:

It can be either if you simply manipulate to hockey stick to fit your agenda.
--

-MIKE-

On 7/18/12 4:49 PM, Han wrote:

Nor a chicken little.
--

-MIKE-

You sound like my wife. That's a compliment, Mike!
--
Best regards
Han
On 7/18/2012 3:49 PM, Han wrote:

scale is that even a problem? In historical times there have been times that the globe was warmer than it is now, and it was not a problem before.