Treated lumber for bird house

Page 5 of 9
snipped-for-privacy@wildcatpub.org wrote:

Can be scary. I snagged an embedded chunk of barbed wire once and was extra careful ever after.
About the neighbors pets... I've heard that a small cat (well dried of course) makes an excellent push stick. (-:
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA
Doug Miller wrote:

US Murder Rates for 2002 http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_02/html/web/offreported/02-table20.html
Canadian Murder Rats for 2002 http://www.exn.ca/Stories/2004/03/15/52.asp?t=dp
Total murders in Canada: 582 2002 Population: 31.3 million
Population rankings http://www.enchantedlearning.com/usa/states/population.shtml
Total Murders in Georgia: 574 2002 Population of Georgia: 8.1 million
BruceR wrote:

I understand your comment is tongue in cheek but the weapon of choice is what's at available. Obviously there is a correlation between murders and the murder weapon.
"Only a third of murders in Canada are committed with handguns, and that number is dropping. The most common murder weapon is knives. About 10 per cent of murders strangle their victims and another 1 per cent use poison."
Again, according to the FBI stats page, in 2002 64% of murders committed in California were commited with a handgun.
I'm not trying to blame handguns for the high murder rate. As an ignorant Canadian, I'm truly interested hearing what you believe are some of the causes for such a massive difference in the murder rates between our two countries.
Wait while I get into my fireproof protection suit.

Some studies have suggested it's our different ethnic mix in the populations. A study of crime rates between two geographically similar cities (Seattle WA. and Vancover BC) show higher crime rates in Seattle. Remove a certain group with a large population in Seattle and a small presence in Vancouver from the data set and viola, Vancouvers rate exceeds that of Seattle....
-Bruce
William MacBain wrote:

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 13:59:10 -0400, William MacBain

Stupid liberal policies, corrupt liberal and conservative politicians, "too busy" parents, psychopathic psychiatrists, "anti-spanking" laws, and a few other things make up the bulk of the problem, ah reckon.

------------------------------------------------------- "i" before "e", except after "c", what a weird society. ---- http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications
Bjrrnar skaltu Larry Jaques rista --

Larry's upset that he can't beat up his children.

Doing a bit of research on the stats related to our disastrous gun registry boondoggle...
Estimated number of gun owners in Canada: 1,900,000
Budgeted revenue raised through registration fee: $117,000,000
Revised estimate of revenue raised through registration fee: $140,000,000
Revenue per gun owner (revised estimate): $73.68
Registration fee per gun: $25.00
Approx guns per owner: 3
Total guns (government estimates): 5,700,000
Canadian population 2003 estimate: 31,629,700
Candian guns/capita: 0.180210372
Note that these are long gun and shot gun estimates for legal ownership.
Legal ownership of handguns in Canada is very difficult.
Guns in possession of law enforcement officers not included above.
Guns in possession of criminals not included above.
Guns in possession of birds living in houses made from treated lumber not included above.
djb
Tue, Jun 8, 2004, 8:52pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@wildcatpub.org burbles: I'm a people control fan. Simply look at the Swiss or even Canada. Both have far more guns per capita than does the US. The out of control shootings in the US is a mental problem.
I take it you haven't checked any reports on gun violence in the U.K. or Austrailia then, they're real big on taking guns away from people. I remember reading about a farmer that had been burglarized dozens of times. Finally he used a shotgun on a couple of the crooks, wounding only. Bottom line, HE got sued, his guns were taken away, can't recall off-hand if he got jail time, but could have. Now, cops can't protect him, no guns to protect himelf or his property, the crooks are pissed, and they know where he lives. Might want to check violence in some of the outher countries too.
JOAT You know it's gonna be a bad day, when you turn on the news and they're showing escape routes out of the city.

Yes, that much is true.

Fair enough, but I think I'll pass - this topic loses a bit of glitter after the dozenth time or so.

And tell me how that's wrong. At the end of the day, no piece of hardware operates itself, there's a human directing it. Until or unless guns develop intelligence which allows them to be autonomous, it's still the person who bears responsibility for their actions.
In article <pmkierst-
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.spam.off.com says...

Actually, I prefer "Those who beat their swords into plowshares wind up plowing for those who didn't."
Or, "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns."
As long as there is one person in the country who has a gun and is willing to use it for criminal purposes, I'll hang on to mine.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

In article

Just to be clear, that is for injuries and deaths. Deaths alone should be about 1/3 that, or about every 15 minutes or so.
Now the US is a big place with a lot of people, so the whole 15 minute thing is really a bit bogus. However, the homicide rates tell us that either
a) Death via accident and illness is *insanely* low or b) The US has a serious problem with Homicide.
You can easily verify yourself by comparison to countries of similar culture and wealth that the US is comparable for (a) and that (b) is true. I won't do all your research for you.
However, I will admit that quite a few countries have high gun ownership without a coorsponding high homicide rate, so it is quite apparent that gun ownership itself is not the cause. Whether it contributes is, of course, open for debate and extremely difficult to measure with any level of certainty.
All that being said, go do some woodworking. And make something nice, not dangerous :)

Easier said than done. I was repairing a window frame this morning. I had to nip off a 15 gage finishing nail. The piece flew up and put a nasty nic dead center in my safety glasses.

Obviously finishing nails are very dangerous and must be banned.
On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 22:19:55 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I doubt any of my neighbors have to be worried about being killed in their beds by my Bostick 15 gauge nailer.
depends on how good your aim is!
dave
snipped-for-privacy@wildcatpub.org wrote:

Nope. If I was gonna kill em I'd use my framing nailer. Which reminds me, I need another 50 feet of hose.<g>
BTW did you see that construction worker who fell, and accidentally shot 5 3.5 inch framing nails into his brain and head and LIVED.
It was on the tube a few weeks ago.

yes, I saw the x-rays. freaky!
dave
snipped-for-privacy@wildcatpub.org wrote:

None of my neighbors are worried about being killed in their beds by my guns, either. Nor do I worry about being killed in my bed by the semi-auto handgun owned by the guy across the street.
Did you have a point somewhere?
On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 23:57:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

So you admit you're a fool. A fool with a gun to boot!
More than 250,000 Americans have already been shot this century and it's only 2004.

Not at all. I simply am not a member of the small minority to which you belong, that gets their panties all twisted up in knots at the thought of firearms in private hands. My neighbor knows how to use his gun responsibly, and so I do not fear it. If you think that I should, that says a lot more about you than it does about me.

How many have been killed or injured in motor vehicle accidents? How many drowned? How many were poisoned?