Treated lumber for bird house

Page 1 of 9
One of my 4-H wood working kids turned up with treated lumber for making a bird house. It's the new stuff, AC2-- not CCA -- but I still don't trust the new stuff.
I'm in the process of telling him why that is a bad idea, and to use just about anything else instead -- even cheap pine with a good latex exterior paint for protection.
Although it is touted as being "less toxic," that still doesn't put my mind at ease. Personally, I wouldn't work with it indoors, use it with animals (birds) or let kids handle it much. I certainly wouldn't want to finish sand the stuff.
Am I being too cautious, as the kid's parents seem to think I am?
Indyrose
Reply on the wreck or to my "real" email at indyrose at milmac dot com.
On 8 Jun 2004 07:13:17 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Indyrose) wrote:

Wood can be toxic enough without adding chemicals to the shop dust. Tell the kids parents if they insist he use the wood to do it at their house, far away from the other kids.
here is a link to one of the chemicals. make up your own mind as to it's safety.
http://ptcl.chem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/ET/ethanolamine.html
If the pesticide industry is any indicator, NOTHING they make is safe. First they took Chlordane off the market, which I used freely around my property. So I bought Dursban. Now that's banned. I also used a termite killer that is no longer sold due to it's toxicity. At some point, I think the industry will replace all their products as safety concerns continue to pile up.
dave
Indyrose wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@nn.com says...

banning is to protect people who use the stuff incorrectly. And I have to wonder if somebody isn't seeing dollar signs on product liability lawsuits.
There's no product more dangerous than an automobile when used incorrectly. OK, maybe a motorcycle :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Like letting children build a bird house with it for instance?
or an assault rifle... <g>
dave
Larry Blanchard wrote: snip

They are designed for one purpose only. To shoot people. So if you aren't shooting people with it, you are using it wrong.

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 18:40:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@wildcatpub.org

Odd, I've got several rifles defined by the legislature as "assult rifles", and I haven't shot anyone with 'em. Either I'm doing something wrong, or your point of view is incorrect.

So shooting holes in paper targets from 200, 300, 600, and 1000 yards isn't legitimate in your world? That's nice, but keep out of my world.

Exactly.
Why not RPGs?

As long as gun nuts like you stay out of mine you can depend on it. People in your world shoot 50,000 other Americans a year. I guess they ran out of paper targets.
BTW, almost every one of those people who shot other people were using their gun for the purpose for which it was intended.<g>
On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 18:58:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@wildcatpub.org

So you are saying that I should be killing people with my guns. Wow. Sorry, but I don't accept your interpretation, and find it insulting. Personal ownership of firearms is why you _have_ the right to free speech.

Evasion noted.

Cite, please? (Translation: I think you pulled that number out of your ass, and would like to see you back it up with a legitimate source).

And circuit boards were designed for guided missles, therefore all computers are ballistic weapons as well. Logic isn't your strong point, is it.

Actually the number is WAY low. Far more than 50,000 people are SHOT every year in the US. Every fourteen minutes someone DIES from a gun shot wound in the US.
Conversation is over. Gun owners in the US are the single largest identifiable group in the world who suffer from a serious mental illness but go largely untreated.

Based on what specific data, exactly?

Yes, I've seen this claim before, but not by anyone who can back it up.

I see, this is the "I'm going to make a claim, refuse to back it up with any legitimate data other than 'I said so' and bail out" tactic. Ah yes, always an effective way to make your case.

...followed by the personal insult. Yup, you're a classic. Your next step is, I believe, to follow up even though you claimed you were done. Maybe you could post some actual sources of your claimed data? You know, ones that don't come from Sarah Brady and company?

I never insulted you. I said you are sick. Mentally ill. I feel sorry for people like you. But I worry sick about those unfortunate enough to be your neighbors.
On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 20:05:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@wildcatpub.org

This isn't an insult in your mind? Wow.

The funny thing is, most of my neighbors come over to my place to shoot. Many coworkers come out to my place to shoot. Even people who have never touched a gun in their lives are keen on coming out, learning how to safely handle the machinery, and learn the enjoyment that comes in being able to use the physical and mental discipline needed to produce a decent group of holes in a piece of paper at a distance.
I also note a complete and utter response to the substantive points made in my post, and the evasion and apparent concession has been duly noted.
you are able to diagnose over the 'net? That's pretty amazing, but I think a bit unethical. We'll have to get your medical license lifted...you DO have a license to practice don't you??
dave
snipped-for-privacy@wildcatpub.org wrote:

But it's only valid for usenet diagnoses.;-)

:)
I'm still posting with my learner's permit.
dave
snipped-for-privacy@wildcatpub.org wrote:

Some numbers from the US government, http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/wisqars /
For 2001, firearm death count was 29,573
Also from the same source, 2001 again, homicide (not necessarily from firearms) was the #2 killer for ages 15-34, the #4 killer from ages 1-9 and the #6 killer from 35-44. These numbers include accidents, illness, etc.
For non-fatal injuries from firearms, there were 63,012 for 2001. This does *not* include BB guns and pellet guns.
Total injuries and deaths from firearms in 2001 in the U.S.: 92,585
That is 253/day, 10/hour or about one every 5 1/2 minutes.
Backed up well enough for you?

29000 seems to be a smaller number than 50000.

How many of these are suicides? How many are criminal-on-criminal violence? How many of them are in places where gun control prohibits honest folks from protecting themselves, making them easy (and safe) targets of armed criminals?
14,454 gun related deaths in 2001
dave