treads and risers

I will be installing treads and risers and am looking for techniques for nailing/screwing them to the stringers. Can anyone point me to a website or literature that could help me out? Seems like a basic question but i cant find much on it. Am I making this out to be more than it is? Thanks in advance to any replies.

For the subfloor risers and treads, I use construction adhesive and screw them. No squeeks. SH

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping for somthing more specific though. Where do I screw the treads and risers exactly (top middle bottom?). I am using hardwood treads. How should I hide screw heads? Thanks again

Don responds:

Couple screws should do it, top and bottom, at least 1" in from upper and lower edges (risers). To hide the screwheads, be old-fashioned. Counterbore the screw holes and stick cut-off dowels in there. Same or contrasting wood.
Charlie Self "When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary." Thomas Paine

I was referring to the subfloor (treads and risers) below the finished treads and risers. For the finished stuff, don't add glue. You can screw the treads and risers by counter sinking and doweling. SH
If you can get to the bottoms, screw down 3/4 ply subs and then screw up through the subs and into the treads. I'm less sure about the risers, but either the same or toe screw through the stringers, at the top. The bottom of the risers can be screwed into the back edge of the treads.
Wilson

I just nailed the risers to the stringers. The oak treads were glued with construction adhesive and nails. I predrilled the ok treads. 3 nails per stringer. I used colored wood putty after the stain and before the finish coats. 8 years and no creaking. The framers did a good job of cutting the stringers which helps with the squeeks.

Here's the system I used 18 years ago, and it's still quiet:
Risers are put up firstusing finish nails of appropriate size. There is a 1/4 or 3/8 dado near the bottom of each riser to accept the back edge of each rabbeted tread.
Screw & glue 1x1 cleats to the side of each stringer so that screws can go up through pre-drilled holes in the cleats into the treads. Test-fit each tread, and drill small pilot hole for the screws, using the cleat holes as guides. Don't glue treads, but put a pad of 30# felt on each bearing surface of the stringers.
This allows repair or replacement of treads, and the felt "lubricates" the potential squeek points.