Traveling Tool Chest

A few weeks ago I asked if anyone had links to examples of the old-timey traveling tool chests 'cause I wanted to make one to use in my volunteer work. Got a lot of good ideas. Tried to put some into action with the results at:

chest was made from stuff I had laying around including a big hunk of old red oak (10/4, 8"X16', weighed a ton) that one of my fellow volunteers gave me. Resawed some of that to ~1/2" thickness, added some BB ply and a piece of ash for the runners and exterior frame supports and had the basic box. The rest was mostly scrap, so the inards look a bit odd. The bottom arrangement is a working prototype - everything except the plane rack is screwed down so I can replace pieces as the mood strikes me. The exterior handles are WAY overkill for size, but I had red oak aplenty and they ain't gonna break!

Loaded weight is ~50# so even a 125# weakling like me can pick it up and put it in the truck. Gotta put some lash points on it tho'.

Thanks to all for the ideas.

Regards.

Tom

Reply to
Tom B

There ya go. You did good. That is your basic, brief case tool box.

One change I would make though. I would put on a bigger handle and bolt it through the bod of the chest. Maybe take some of that red oak of yours and run a bridge between the two peices that current have the latches installed on them. I would leave the present handle to use to open the chest.

Just a suggestion. This implys that you would carry it by the handle. If not, never mind.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

That's what I like to see. Built to do the job, and looking good enough not to be an embarrassment without having devoted your life to making the world's prettiest toolbox.

Sometimes you need to reach just a wee bit higher, and that would make for a nice platform to stand on. Once the initial baby the new toolbox phase is over, of course.

-Kevin

Reply to
LEGEND65

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

You need a strap.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

THREE hand planes? THREE squares? A FOLDING ruler? Is that a hammer with a LEATHER face?

Well, if you were trying to build an "old-timey" tool chest, you did a remarkable job.

Reply to
HeyBub

suggested.

Reply to
dadiOH

Very, very nice.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

Reminds me of a birthday present I got when I was 5 yrs old, an official Stanley tool box, very similar to yours. If memory serves, it was made of dove-tailed hardwood and had a handfull of basic tools. A hammer, folding rule, torpedo level, brace/bit, hand drill, plane, hand saw, etc. I don't think I could lift it on my own. Everything was hunky-dory until I tried the brace/bit on the other present I'd received the year before, a child sized natural oak roll-top desk. That bit worked perfectly cutting two holes through the natural grain writing surface. Likwise, my dad's belt worked perfectly in warming my bottom to a natural rosey pink! ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

It may totally ruin the look of it, but I would put wheels on one end and a collapsible (telescoping) handle on the other.

I built a drum hardware case that way, out of wood. The thing was too heavy *empty.* One I put stands in it, game over.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Actually 4 planes (there's a Veritas bullnose under the LN pocket plane) and 4 squares (the Veritas saddle square kinda hides in the corner). The folding rule doesn't get "lost" as quick as a tape - I think I may need to paint my next tape pink so it doesn't disapear - and it does inside measurements much more accurately. The hammer does not have a leather face, it's wood, and is used for pounding on chisels and "minor" adjustments to wood pieces when something doesn't quite fit.

Some of the old time tools do their jobs better than some new stuff, IMHO.

Thanks for the compliment tho'.

Regards.

Tom

Reply to
Tom B

Thanks to all for the comments.

A handle like a suitcase or a strap that would allow for shouldering were actually part of the design vision. I even had a piece of doubled and stiched horse hide ready for the strap and handle. Both disappeared when the loaded weight became clear. I'm a skinny old codger and, while I knock out 40 pushups every morning, ~50# on one shoulder or hanging from one hand makes me walk NNE when I'm pointed North. Never liked to fly in a yaw, so why walk (OK, trudge) that way. I decided to stick with the old Army style bunk box, a 2 hander where the weight is centered and the CG is low, below the handles. Easier for me to wag around.

Regards.

Tom

Reply to
Tom B