Transparent Wood

http://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/wood/wood-veneer/transparent-wood-could-replace-glass-solar-cells-and-buildings
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 12:31:38 PM UTC-4, Swingman wrote:

re: But because wood isn't not naturally transparent, we achieve that effect with some nanoscale tailoring," he says.
Just think about how small our shops will be in the future.
Nanoscale tablesaws, nanoscale clamps, nanoscale Kreg jigs. Imagine how small a nanoscale trim router will be!
Is nanoscale sawdust a health hazard? Does nanoscale sawdust even exist?

Dust-free woodworking from the comfort of your easy chair.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/hlsNUHYFfO0?autoplay=1

On 4/8/2016 2:15 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:

Nice. Now what will I do with my $1000 hepa vacuum cleaner, sound eliminating ear muffs, chain link gloves, bullet proof face mask etc, etc...
--
Jack

Trade them in on a nicer easy chair. :-)
Puckdropper

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Artscape-24-in-x-36-in-Rice-Paper-Decorative-Window-Film-01-0134/100608533
It seems to me that I remember onion skin windows on log cabins in pioneering days.
Now we find Hi Tech ways of doing old things. ;)
On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 11:01:17 PM UTC-7, OFWW wrote:

Isinglass. It was made from fish bladders. That's still an option, we have OTHER uses for wood, but for fish bladders... not so much.
Swingman wrote:

Sounds like a solution looking for a problem. It will be a long time before we run out of sand to make real glass.
--
GW Ross

This is precisely the sort of thing

Apparently the "transparent wood" is a lot lighter and slightly more durable than glass (less fragile)
On Sat, 09 Apr 2016 14:19:05 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

But just what is its combustion point?
says...

And can it hold whales?

Whales aren't the problem. It's the weight of the water you have to consider!
Puckdropper
On 10 Apr 2016 04:49:20 GMT, Puckdropper

Same weight but without the whales, there's no point in holding the water.
On 4/9/2016 2:19 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I wonder how the old diamond scratch test would work on that stuff?
--
Jack