Tradesman (Bessey) F15 clamps locking up

Anyone else having problems with these clamps? I had one lock up on me and had a difficult time getting it loose. I stored it in the closed position and it would not open. The screw would turn almost one revolution, but the jaws remained locked and closed. Maybe I'm not storing them on the rack properly? (I finally got the clamp unstuck by removing one of the plastic pads.)

Reply to
Phisherman

I envy you your Besseys. There's and old rule of thumb that one doesn't store anything in an extreme position, open or closed. Your clamp difficulty might be an illustration of that rule of thumb. Just a guess.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

I make sure the screw can be turned out half way to avoid that. DAMHIK. The clamps are designed to hold well and they sure do if you close it up tight.

Reply to
RE Quick Transit

I had a similar problem with one. I now make sure I can see at least one thread above the bar before putting them on the rack. On the rack they store closed, and I always have at least a thread to back off to get them open.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

This is an inherent problem with the Bessy's and the Cabinet Masters. Some with KBodies complain of this also. The trick is to keep the screw centered so that you have more than a couple of turns of loosening room,

Reply to
Leon

Well duh,,,now I get it! Like another poster stated, have a couple threads showing on the jaw side before closing the clamp and the lock up can be backed out. I have eight K-Body Besseys too, and can see this situation happening with these (and other fast-close clamps) although that has not occurred in over 12 years of use.

Great group, appreciate the fast responses.

Reply to
Phisherman

hi today I was at a local woodworking supply store for an in house show and I saw the bessy rep with the same problem. he jolted them against the side of a display stand and the came loose said to another factory rep happens all the time!

Reply to
leonard