Tracing lines on to wood

Page 2 of 2
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 21:46:12 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

you had rocks? we were still waiting for the earth's crust to cool down enough to walk on it....
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

From a site from JOAT. http://home.tiac.net/~cri/2003/likedit.html
-- Mark

at least you didn't have to sit and wait through those six long days of creation...
Although,... Eve was quite a looker in her prime.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

Yeah, but what CHOICE did Adam have? Huh? ;-) "The girl all gets prettier at closing time ... "
-- Mark
Wrong, I'm 44 and remember it well. :)
wrote in message news:yBHyd.3164

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------020109060702060102070701 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Doug Miller wrote:

Doug,
I am 73 so I think I know about carbon paper. I remember it as coming in only one color. With this method you can transfer any woodgrain color you want.
My hobby is restoring antique radios and often there is a situation where some wood, strips across a speaker grill come to mind, have to be replaced. If you can't find the exact wood you could;
Paint a piece of wood a light yellow-brown color. Find your woodgrain on the internet and print it out in black and white. Use this method to trace the woodgrain on the paper. Otherwise the grain lines have to be painted by hand. Add some spray toner if needed and apply your finish
Who knows. maybe someone here will have a restoration project where this could be useful. I lurk here and post when information I have might be useful to someone here. If it doesn't apply to any of your interests, ignore it.
Check out this site. http://pages.cthome.net/ptf/photofin/photoFinish.html
It is very primitive and soon will be updated with lots more complete information and pictures. Some way want to try it out and turn a cheap wood box into something that looks like it was made of expensive woods. Most will not. All I do is post information for everyones consideration. Again, if it isn't useful to you. ignore it.
BTW, I am an artist and retired art teacher. I'll post a couple pictures on the binary page showing my woodgrain artwork.
Stewart
--------------020109060702060102070701 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
I guess you're too young to have ever seen carbon paper, huh?
--------------020109060702060102070701--
I am 73 so I think I know about carbon paper. I remember it as coming in only one color. With this method you can transfer any woodgrain color you want.
My hobby is restoring antique radios and often there is a situation where some wood, strips across a speaker grill come to mind, have to be replaced. If you can't find the exact wood you could;
Paint a piece of wood a light yellow-brown color. Find your woodgrain on the internet and print it out in black and white. Use this method to trace the woodgrain on the paper. Otherwise the grain lines have to be painted by hand. Add some spray toner if needed and apply your finish
(and I reply) Thanks for the additional information. First time around you gave us a solution to a problem we didn' tknow we had. Now you have supplied us with a great tip for restoration work or specialty decorative trim. Ed
Stewart Schooley wrote:

Most all the replies here have said, "That's carbon paper." Thought at 45 I am old enough to have used (and probably still have in several boxes <g>) carbon paper, I think you came up with something novel and different.
- Your technique puts the transfer agent where it is needed; carbon paper always left smudges all over my seconds.
- I've only seen carbon paper in 8.5" x 11" sheets. Your technique is limited only by the size of the paper. I own a printer that can print 24" wide by a mile long. Tom Plamann (an inspiration to us all <g>) has a printer that can make a printout 54" wide by a mile long.
http://plamann.com/sys-tmpl/scrapbook/view.nhtml?profile=scrapbook&UID 013 Your technique works for large format printers; carbon paper, though similar, fails entirely.
Thanks for thinking. I saved your post. ;-)
-- Mark
On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 04:25:37 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

Woodcraft has carbon paper is much larger sheets for tracing woodworking projects.
--RC

A pattern printed from a laser printer, then placed on wood and a hot iron run over the back transfers to the wood pretty well. Grandpa
snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com wrote:

Go to a fabric store. 36" wide by however long a roll is.

CW wrote:

I'm still surprised. ;-) The OP came up with a DIY method that: - is super cheap. - doesn't require aligning another layer. - doesn't have the possibility of putting marks where not intended. - is trivially easy to store.
IMO <bseg> xRECers should be doing cartwheels about the OP's brainstorm.
-- Mark
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------070402080501040108090102 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Mark Jerde wrote:

IMO &lt;bseg&gt; xRECers should be doing cartwheels about the OP's brainstorm.
-- Mark
--------------070402080501040108090102--

"Original" poster.

LOL! It could, but I don't know if it does. ;-) Common usage is Original Poster.
-- Mark
On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 18:43:53 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

Part of the confusion is that OP didn't describe up front what he was using the method for. For faux graining wood it makes a lot of sense. As a substitute for carbon paper, it's less useful, as a number of the followups pointed out.