toy safety finish

Hi I'm starting to make wood toys and I'm concerned about safety. Any suggestions on a finish that's kid safe and reasonably priced. Any help would appreciated. Thanks Tom
I started making toys recently and posted the same question. Some of the responses that I received was that most finishes are safe when they are dry. As a parent that doesn't comfort me. :) Most of the toys I've been making are unfinished. The two finishes that I have used include Mineral Oil straight from the grocery store, and a Non toxic Toy Finish from Cherry Tree, which if memory serves was listed as mineral oil plus a couple other ingredients. Not sure about the list of ingredients, but it looked like mineral oil and applied like mineral oil.
TD wrote:

Thanks for all the help. You guys are great! Tom
TD wrote:

Shellac...it's FDA approved for food - can't get much safer than that!
************************************ Chris Merrill snipped-for-privacy@christophermerrillZZZ.net (remove the ZZZ to contact me) ************************************
I don't remember the issue number, but Wood MAg about a year back had tips on safe finishes for toys. I remember for colors they used natural products ie teas or coffee for browns and I believe beet juice for redder colors.
Robert

In addition to the other comments, you might be interested in the Tried & True line of finishes: <http://www.TRIEDandtruewoodfinish.com/

Shellac and/or soya bean oil. Weak pastel colours can be obtained from coffee, beetroot, red cabbage, or berry juices.
Barry Lennox
Any finish is perfectly safe as long as you let it completely cure.
I used General Finishes EF water-based stain and EF polyacrylic blend on the crib and cradle I made. They dried very fast and gave good results.
Mike
--
There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.