Toxic Finish?

I applied Minwax Tung Oil Finish to my cutting board (one coat) and then started to question its toxicity. Because you can not call Minwax on the weekend, I decided to just sand the crap off and apply some food safe Salad Bowl finish that I picked up today. I am still a little paranoid that their still might be some finish soaked deep into the pores that I can't get out.
I know that poly is Non-toxic when dry and Tung oil is non toxic, but I am not sure if they add any chemical drying agents that could be toxic.
Any suggestions?
--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Stoutman wrote:

Running out of things to worry about, are we??? :)
I wouldn't worry much, once it is dry it will be pretty much contained anyway.
If you're really worried about it, you could look at the MSDS for the product which I'm sure you could find via a link from Minwax.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Stoutman wrote:

I have one toxic finish that's just about "not recommended for chewing". I have to make it myself (lead dried boiled linseed) because you can't even sell it any more.
These days, if they're selling a finish it's a major event if it has the _slightest_ implication for toxicity. They're really just awfully hard to find now.
Cobalt dried oils have _some_ concerns about the use of cobalt, but this is magnitudes less serious than lead ever was. We might see moves away from it in years to come, but it's certainly not a risk today or a reason to get sandpaper out.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com wrote:

I'm curious as to why you go to the trouble to do that.
--

FF


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I have used Minwax Tung Oil on lots of salad bowls and such. It is supposed to be food safe when dry. Considering the number of turners who have used and do use it, and the lack of problem, I would not worry. According to the MSDS http://pages.slc.edu/~aschultz/chemical_hygiene/MSDS/sculpture%20msds/TUNG%20OIL%20FINISH.PDF#search=%22MSDS%20Minwax%20Tung%20oil%22 you should not drink the stuff or let it into the water supply but I suspect that is due more to the Stoddard solvents than the other undisclosed chemicals (proprietary secrets). ______ God bless and safe turning Darrell Feltmate Truro, NS, Canada www.aroundthewoods.com

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.