Towel Bar Replacement

My daughter has ceramic towel bar holders in her bathroom. It is the kind that takes a wooden bar that is roughly 1" square. I don't know it the grandson was doing chinups or what but he managed to break the bar. Because the holders are ceramic and permantly fastened to the wall they are not movable. Does anyone have a strategy to install a replacement rod under these conditions?
TIA.
You could try steaming a piece of wood to bend it but I doubt a piece that thick would bend enough unless it was soft like pine.
Think scarf joint and glue.
mike wrote:

a telescoping rod.
Dave
I hate those things. If it were my house, I would take them down and make a piece of furniture with cabinet doors, maybe a mirror, and a multi-tiered towel rack.
I think you'll find that if you look under the ceramic things, there's a screw holding them onto a cleat that's been glued and screwed to the wall. Once loosened, they should slide up and off.
brian
I'd make the bar in two pieces, joined with an end-to-end half lap.
mike wrote:

Those holders often have some sort of relief or cut-away, usually on the upper rear, that allow a new bar to be flexed into place. Some may have a hidden screw that allows one end to be loosened to install a bar.
When the holders are installed, the tile guys usually don't install the bar until the adhesive has set, so there's got to be a way.
Barry
With the new rod lodged in one receptacle, mark, then cut the new rod just short of the other receptacle.Drill the ends of your dowel rod to accept some pretty firm coil springs. Make sure the drilled holes are equal depth so the spring pressure is equal. Then insert one end with a spring in a receptacle then push the spring back into the other end and drop it into the other receptacle. If the spring pressure is enough, it will not fall out under normal use.
Tom in Ky Wishing for spring.
I recently removed a set from our bathroom....I simply gave the bottom of the ceramic a fairly good shot upward with the palm of my hand.
Let us know how you make out. Doug

mike wrote:

Well, first pick up a can of temporary wood shrinker & neutralizer from any good lumberyard. Fashion a new rod of the proper size, paint, then spray on the shrinker. When the rod has has shrunk to a suitable length, wipe on a little of the neutralizer and hold in between the porcelain holders and wait for it to expand back to it's orginal size.
If that fails, you can try an adjustable towel bar replacement...
Good luck!
The ones in my bathroom have a dovetailed metal clip attached to the wall. Try banging the ceramic part up gently with a NON METTALIC hammer. Mine came right off. max