Touch-up Question

I bought a large (4'by 3') framed mirror this week at auction. The person who helped me put it in my car knocked a small piece out of the top edge of the frame about 1/8" wide by 3/4" long. The frame is basically a 6" wide (crown-style?) molding, painted copper-brown with heavy black accents--large enough that merely covering the newly-exposed bare wood ought to go a long way towards a repair.
Can anyone recommend a putty and/or other filler and a source of paint for this source of touch-up work? Lowes? Home Depot?
Thank you, Bill
On 4/20/2012 5:14 PM, Bill wrote:

I carry these in the truck with me to touch-up small spots in trim and paint from the inevitable dings that life brings them:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page 396&site=ROCKLER
Any stainable wood filler will do the small stuff, then apply the above. I use FamoWood, among others:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page 537
I'm also partial to this for filling nail holes just for the ease of use:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz 1CHFX_enUS454US454&q=minwax+filler&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid154338714782563149&sa=X&ei=m-GRT_SiFabS2QXY7emQBQ&ved H0Q8gIwBQ
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 4/20/2012 5:14 PM, Bill wrote:

Bill if this is something that is not greatly noticeable and you got a good deal on it you might want to do something I do with a chipped dish. Our dishes are black and bright white under the outer coating.
If you have heavy black accents.... Add another accent and color it in with a black sharpy pen. Works for me. and if you don't like it you can still proceed with a more involved repair.
Leon wrote:

I got a lot of good suggestions. Thank you. I'll try a little wood filler where the wood is missing, and buy some model paint, and get out my black Sharpy. And I'll practice first! All good ideas.
I got the frame for $70 +10% at the auction. I'm sure it would be at least several times that in a store. It will look just as good as a new one, maybe better, after it's touched up...and it will have "character"! : )

If you're planning on painting over the repair, then you could just as easily use some Bondo to fill the damaged area. It's cheap and it doesn't shrink.
On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 22:53:26 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Elitist!
Bill wrote:

A good source of color matching is a box of 64 Crayola crayons.

A box of 16 or 24 crayons lends to building more character, though!
Sonny