Totally OT Ford attempts to dazzle the customer

Page 1 of 2
Well the 500 did not do well so Ford decided to make a BOLD move to please the customer and rename it the Taurus. I guess they figure the average buyer will not know the difference. They are so proud of that decision that they have renamed one of their SUV's, the Escape or the Freestyle I don't recall which, the Taurus X.
Now Ford is reintroducing the Model-T
http://www.theonion.com/content/news/ford_reintroduces_model_t_line

Sounds fair. All the good Italian and French names are in use by the competition.

No mention of retail price but I can hardly wait.
Max
Article says $950.00 Wonder if you have to pay using those oversized bills.
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 19:33:11 GMT, "Leon"

Tongue-in-cheek? Satire? A gentle tug on the leg? Or something else. Whatever it is, you can bet that's not a serious report. If nothing else about it is a clue, this statement makes the report preposterous:
"... the company will save millions of dollars by paying workers on the man-powered assembly linesonce considered a revolutionary breakthroughwages at 1911 rates. ..."
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
<Tom Veatch> wrote in message wrote:

TheOnion.com is the tongue in cheek give away. A newspaper version of SNL.
Ford has however renamed 2 different vehicles with the Taurus name.

Taurus was Napoleon's middle name. Napoleon Taurus Bonaparte. (Say it quickly)
...ain't that a knee-slapper?
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 23:20:20 -0500, "Leon"

Thanks. This was my first encounter with "TheOnion". Did look over the page somewhat, but didn't see any disclaimers indicating the non-serious nature of the reporting.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
On Oct 17, 12:39 am, Tom Veatch wrote:

The Onion did a parody on the moon landing. See if you can find it....it brings tears to my eyes every time I read it.
Tom Veatch wrote:

On occasion, "The Onion" has had some real side splitters, the Ford article isn't their best work.
on 10/17/2007 7:04 AM B A R R Y said the following:

How much did the Onion say the T would cost. You can buy a real T for about $13,000.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

The article about Harry Reid kicking the ranch dog sure made the rounds in a hurry! Until people realized the source! Sure sounded believable.

I remember a Zephyr being an absolute piece of crap. Now it's a hoity- toity Lincoln. The name Vauxhall and Firenza bring back some very disturbing memories. (Ford didn't have an exclusive on name badgering.) Then there was the Ford Granada from the late 70's..now THAT was a price winner. The European Ford Grenada was a great car. I rented it there when I could. Let's not even begin to talk about such miscarriages as the Bobcat and Pinto...Ford has come up with trash, I tell ya. ..and..and WHO can forget that Thunderbird which came in blue with brown straps on the farking trunk lids...maaaaan what an abomination. Then there was the GT40, which made it all better....what a nice piece that was. I drove a Ford 500 recently and thought it was just fine. I quite liked it.
wrote:> I remember a Zephyr being an absolute piece of crap. Now it's a hoity-

WAS, it is already no longer. I think it is the Milan now.

That's the new Taurus now.

Lincoln MKZ. Changes include a 3.5L, 263 Hp over the 3.0L, 202 HP, a smoooooth 6 speed tranny, improved suspension. Nice little car. Just bought one for my wife.
Max

SNIP

You know, I don't think I have ever read anything really bad about this car, and for the most part it seem to be seeing positive reports on most aspects of this model.
But I just don't think that American comsumers care anymore about Ford and their lousy products. After putting out crap for so many years, they are simply irrelevant. All that bad capital they have built over the years will truly be almost impossible to overcome.
I wonder if any tool makers are following along on the home version of this story...
Robert
on 10/17/2007 4:39 PM snipped-for-privacy@aol.com said the following:

Ford has to stop looking at the next quarter and do like the Japanese. Look to the 20th quarter.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I'm an Audi guy. I have messed with BMW, even Mercedes. (Never any real 'upscale' versions like AMG's or M5's). So, I have a bit of a feel for handling and power and such. Nothing I like more than being able to throw around big cars at small car- speeds. That ride in that Ford 500 was a real surprise for me. It had all kinds of throttle, LOTS of cornering ability, and plenty of brakes. I likened it to a 540 BMW in all aspects. For WAY less than half the money of an Audi A6 with a 4.2 litre V-8, the 500 was one helluva deal. (Fit and finish weren't quite there...and neither was the 'scent'..but dammit, it was a nice car.)

*sigh*... what a a frickin' shame. Really. That mind-set is so hard to overcome. So much has to do with people feeling 'let down'. I have a parking lot full of stories. My guys love some of my old GMC rolling stock, but can't stand the newer stuff.

I repeat. It is a crying shame. It's like a huge collective enema was shoved up an entire nation and deflated any and all loyalties out from under them.
*I* am a Canadian. *I* take pride in buying something that says MADE IN USA. *I* am NOT sucking up to anybody here. It is a FACT! My big brother to the south of me can do AMAZING things. Moonshots. Big Bombs even. You sunsabitches kicked some whoopass in Europe back in '45. You got some awesome women down there. (My sister's one of them... so are 3 nieces who suffered tornadoes and dead husbands...) Hell...even your Bourbon is kinda wicked and cool.
So, lose Bush, Cheney, and Doug Miller, and I'll love you again.
You DO know I'm kidding, right? (well maybe not ALL of it...)

Yeah, ths only thing I have heard negative about the 500 was the new shiftless transmission. Apparently it is lack luster and sluggish.

American cars in genereal. I worked for GM dealerships and can assure you that the lack of quality, the lack of "caring" is what has gotten them in the spot they are in today. I clearly recall single part numbers that would go bad year after year with no design improvements. I clearly recall the GM rep grabbing a hand full of warranty parts and rejecting the warranty claims simply because our dealer hip was replacing more than the zone average. Might I add that we were awarded a Service Excelence award by GM for having the fewest customer complaints amoung other things.