Totally OT

What happens when schools stop teaching music.

What happens when you let them do this to express their individuality.

What happens when you don't discipline your kids.

What happens when kids have more money than their parents.

Yes, this is Justin Berber. White boy gone wrong and having no pride in himself.

Leon

What an interesting group of people. Glad I'm of a different generation.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

And.......most, if not all, are Obama supporters. Scary

Reply to
ChairMan

We had about 2 hours of music instruction in 8 years of Catholic grade school. PBS and WQXR taught me a lot more. I have 2 family members with taste in music and they gave me a start.

When I was 11, I liked jazz and my friends liked KISS. I couldn't understand why they didn't want to listen to music. It's my opinion now that most people never really listen to music. Not really listen.

But to your question, I don't think school can really make a difference. Most people are born with no taste, but instead with a predisposition to follow a herd. The most you can do is act as a shepherd to the herd, and too many modern parents don't do that. It takes solidarity among adults.

I don't think Beiber has a real sense of individuality. He emulates rappers because he thinks that's the right herd to follow.

Lots of famous or infamous (Lewinsky) kids appear to have parents with no leadership skills at all.

The excess money is detrimental, but it's not catastrophic. They can have discipline at the same time.

When I was 5, I got $5 in the Christmas card from my grandmother. Now they get $100 at a time. I probably got $25 at Confirmation. I know a girl who just got $1100 at her Confirmation.

The result of this is that kids don't learn the value of money, but they can have discipline in other ways at the same time. My sister's son sometimes had more liquid cash than his parents. They took loans from him - with interest. But he wasn't given the kind of license the kids in those pictures get.

Tom Del Rosso

I grew up with music being a part of school every year that I went to school. I believe that it certainly does make a difference, as now a majority of the kids have turned to cRAP. If you are not influnced with the good stuff you learn the bad stuff.

IIRC he has only recently turned down that path along with his potty training pants. He has been successful enough to retire but his audience is ignorant as to what decent music really is. The cRappers are teaching the kids now.

Talent down the drain.

The numbers that you are talking about here are irrelevant. Those that are influencing our kids know little to nothing about music and because they do have some talent, although misguided, are making a killing. I guarantee you that if our society brought music back to all of the schools the RAP cRAP would all but disappear.

Leon

Yeah, today's kids are a real mess. I sure am glad that I was a teenager in the 60s and 70s. We didn't have any on & off stage nudity, drug use, sex, or other inappropriate behaviour at rock shows back in those days, did we?

Reply to
Larry W

I dunno. I was too naked, stoned, drunk (and having sex) to care.

-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I grew up with music being a part of school every year that I went to school. I believe that it certainly does make a difference, as now a majority of the kids have turned to cRAP. If you are not influnced with the good stuff you learn the bad stuff.

IIRC he has only recently turned down that path along with his potty training pants. He has been successful enough to retire but his audience is ignorant as to what decent music really is. The cRappers are teaching the kids now.

Talent down the drain.

The numbers that you are talking about here are irrelevant. Those that are influencing our kids know little to nothing about music and because they do have some talent, although misguided, are making a killing. I guarantee you that if our society brought music back to all of the schools the RAP cRAP would all but disappear. =================================================================== I'm having a hard time reading this without laughing.

Reply to
CW

How many years apart was that. I remember working for $1.25 an hour too. Don't recall getting anything at Confirmation.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Wed, 16 May 2012 02:25:54 +0000 (UTC),

Either your memory is going from old age or you were a protected child. The 60s and 70s were my teenage years and nudity and drug use were the order of the day.

Reply to
Dave

Yeah but we were trying to be grown up. Today's with no structure the kids,"trak Bieber for example" are reverting to infantilism. He looks just like out son during patty training.

Reply to
Leon

Just 30 years. I hope you are not saying that inflation accounts for it.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

So am I ... seeing how my Dad threw my sister's Elvis records into the front yard saying: "You call that crap MUSIC??"

(and our each member of family of seven played one or more instruments)

Reply to
Swingman

------------------------------ Talk about dating one's self.

The minimum wage was $0.50/hr when I started working.

Was still only earning $2.00/hr my last year in college.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yeah but we were trying to be grown up. Today's with no structure the kids,"trak Bieber for example" are reverting to infantilism. He looks just like out son during patty training. ========================================================================= Yep, with the earrings, tattoos, long hair, ripped jeans, pot, acid, rock music ect. Yes, we were trying to be upstanding responsible adults, just like our parents.

Reply to
CW

On Wed, 16 May 2012 06:55:20 -0500, Leon

Yeah, but we're old guys. We really have very little understanding of the kind of pressures and difficulties kids go through these days. All we have is our knowledge that we got through it. What makes sense to us these days wouldn't mean much to us if we were sixteen again.

Reply to
Dave

But we as kids probably had more guidance and less free will than todays kids. I pretty much accept trends today however I draw the line where a kid can't keep his pants up and his whole butt crack shows.

I wonder what kind of pressure causes one to want to wear his pants below his butt?

Not to mention things we did as kids are still being done as adults.

Long hair, bell bottom jeans, hip huggers, short shorts, plaid pants, oh MY! Loud music, POT etc.

I can't really can't see an adult employee coming to work with his pants hanging down around his knees.

Reply to
Leon

On Thu, 17 May 2012 07:29:59 -0500, Leon

Well, in this case the answer is easy, at least for me. I don't have much hair anymore, bell bottom jeans don't come in my size, my hips are eclipsed by my stomach, loud music hurts my ears and I can't afford pot anymore.

See? There are some advantages to getting older.

Reply to
Dave

IOW, economists can make the numbers say whatever they want them to say :-).

But they can't quantify the loss of value inherent in the changes in our society since I was a youngster.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

But we as kids probably had more guidance and less free will than todays kids. I pretty much accept trends today however I draw the line where a kid can't keep his pants up and his whole butt crack shows.

I wonder what kind of pressure causes one to want to wear his pants below his butt? ============================================================================ Practicing to be a plumber. ==========================================================================

Not to mention things we did as kids are still being done as adults. Long hair, bell bottom jeans, hip huggers, short shorts, plaid pants, oh MY! Loud music, POT etc. ======================================================== Worn your platform shoes lately ? How about your tie dyed shirt? Some things (thankfully) go away.

Reply to
CW