TOTALLY Off Topic

Has any one caught the new Catch Phrase? Probably invented at the Olympics this year but all the news people are repeating it.
During a swim racing event the winner apparently did not swim faster, he "Out Touched" the other swimmers. This has happen on two different occasions that I know of so far.
Leon wrote:

Makes some sense...I saw one heat a day or two ago where a USA woman got silver instead of gold because she touched the wall with a flat palm rather than stretching out her fingers and touching with fingertips.
The commentator was shocked, saying that it was a totally rookie mistake.
When the difference is a few hundredths of a second, that final lunge for the wall is just as important as everything else.
Chris

So, what happens now? Swimmers will start hanging heavy weights on their arms to lengthen them? I can just see it now, the advent of the new swimmer's training tool ~ a specially designed traction bed with wrist straps and arm tension rods.
How about special swimmer's fingernail growth formulas?
:)
As a member of a "swim family", having watched countless races peering over the edge of a pool with a stopwatch in my hand, I can tell you that "out touched" is a swimming term that dates back to just after the invention of water.
Michael Latcha - at home in Redford, MI

"Michael Latcha" wrote

over
Yabbut, I'm thinking that the point was that not before invention of the tedious titted TV talking head was it uttered to such inexcusable excretory excess.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

My suggestion is to get a DVR. The fast forward button solves many of the problems associated with talking heads during the Olympic broadcasts.
"Dan Coby" wrote

"out
of
excretory
A better suggestion ... the OFF button. Then go do some woodworking.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

*wiping green tea off monitor and keyboard*
Dammit, dude, gimme a heads-up next time will ya??
"Swingman" wrote

Sounds suspiciously like a girl I used to know.
Did you know her too?

That may very well be true, but like the kid next door that got a new bell to ring for his bicycle it can be over used. I absolutely do not recall having ever heard the term prior to this weekend and heard it 3 times, even by those not announcing the race. This was not the first time a swimmer was "Out Touched". The media learned a new term and have already worn it out.

Been there, drank th.... er done that.
-Zz