Tossing out scraps

Page 1 of 2
At what point would you toss out scrap lumber?
I'm looking at my work area and I have a ton of 1x1x4 and 1/2x1x8 cedar strips and little odds and ends 2x4's and a half dozen other bits and pieces. At what point would you start tossing, burning, or otherwise getting rid of that stuff? What would you consider a useful board from your scrap pile.

I make small blocks and toys from my scraps, so if it is more than 3 cubic inches, it goes in the to be "toy" bucket. When the bucket is full, I start making toys.
Saving cutoffs is directly proportional to your storage arrangement and capacity, coupled with the quality of the wood involved. Each person is very different. If you cannot envision a project for the fall off, if you have never used anything "that size" for a project, then get rid of it. Be aware, within one week of tossing the fall off you will find something for which it would have been perfect.
If you can't keep it straight, if you can't find it, if you have to move tons of stuff to see what you have it has virtually no value.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Do you have any woodworker friends who make small projects? Some of it might be just what they are looking for. Maybe you can make a trade or at least make another woodworker friend very happy.
Charley
(Eigenvector)

(Eigenvector)

Very good point... Miniatures jewelry boxes and segmented turnings come to mind..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Eigenvector wrote: | At what point would you toss out scrap lumber? | | I'm looking at my work area and I have a ton of 1x1x4 and 1/2x1x8 | cedar strips and little odds and ends 2x4's and a half dozen other | bits and pieces. At what point would you start tossing, burning, | or otherwise getting rid of that stuff? What would you consider a | useful board from your scrap pile.
I have a whole web page dedicated to a project to use up 1x4 and 2x4 scraps at http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Cyclone.html , and haven't had any difficulty finding homes for cyclone parts with fellow woodworkers.
Glue up your 1x1 and 1/2x1 stuff for cutting/cheese boards, trays, and turning blanks. If you don't have a lathe but accumulate a large supply of blanks, you'll have an excuse to shop for an inexpensive lathe to use 'em up.
Scrap is a short word for "opportunity to convert waste into good will", a commodity rarely in oversupply.

Well that's an interesting option I hadn't thought of - cutting boards, shame cedar's so soft, but still a bunch of 1x1 strips glued together into a nice board or serving platter even.
Honestly most of my scrap is incorporated into my workbench, minor repairs and filling in gaps and whatnot.

Small pieces of hardwood, you soak in water, wrap in foil, and toss on the barbecue with good, thick pork chops.

I have three Rubbermaid waste baskets in three sizes for different sizes of scrap. When they are full, I look through them quickly and burn the less useful pieces to make room for better new stuff.
I define full according to whether most of the pieces I toss from halfway across the shop stay in or on the waste basket. I have to force myself to not think too much about value and possible use so my scraps will save me time rather than costing me time (Hi, my name is David and ...).
I usually still have shit on every horizontal surface in the shop, but it was worse before I went to the waste basket scrap "system".
PDX David
"Eigenvector" wrote in message

On the sixth Tuesday of every month ending in "g", but then only during the second vernal equinox.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07
"Eigenvector" wrote in message
> At what point would you toss out scrap lumber?
When it takes more time to wade thru it than you are willing to invest.
Lew
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 09:19:01 -0700, "Eigenvector"

Hey, I confess. I have a load of scrap lumber. I start tossing it out when I need more room. For the most part, I toss out anything smaller than a cucumber, PT cut offs, 2x4s shorter than 6 inches, pieces older than 2 years, or oddly-shaped pieces. If you don't sort your scraps it can take too much time to get the size you need.

Yep, pretty subjective based on storage space, estimated future need and the degree of your obsessive/ compulsive disorder. I wait until I'm too swamped with them and then I throw whatever is too short or anything I've already used as a backer for drilling, etc. I keep a little of everything but just a little. The first couple of weeks are usually traumatic with occassional trips to the burn pile for visits and exercises in restraint (from 'rescuing' a few).

Anything that has potential as a turning blank or stock for toys that our Guild builds for needy children goes into a bin that I take to a Guild meeting for the turners and toy makers to forage through. None of that goes back home with me. The rest of it - well, we have a free day at the landfill twice a year. So, twice a year I go through the scraps and toss what I don't think I'll ever use into the pickup for the trip to the landfill. The rest gets lucky and is recycled for another 6 months. I hate to take it to the landfill, but I have no other outlet for it. Down here in the deep south we don't have wood burning stoves in our shops! I work in December and January with the shop door open.

after I burn it..
After years of battling Mr. Murphy, I have a sorting system which still doesn't work, but makes me feel better:
If it's firewood for sure, it goes in boxes in the yard by the BBQ and fire pit...
If I think it's probably firewood, it goes into a stack under the band saw, in case we run out of firewood and being a firebug, I run into the shop looking for "something else to burn"..
Most of the other stuff goes on racks and shelves and is burned selectively when the other 2 options are exhausted..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
I use up most of my scrap. "If you don't practice on scrap, you're practicing on your project."
After any adjustment to the router bit, bit height, or fence, I make a quick test cut.
Any time I'm going to cut a dado, a piece of scrap goes through first. Likewise rabbits.
I generally don't trust the depth adjustment on the drill press. I drill a test hole first.
Cutting repetitive pieces? Always try a piece of scrap.
When I'm going to be gluing exotic woods, especially if they're dissimilar I usually do a test glueup with scrap. When gluing cocobolo, ebony, or other difficult-to-glue woods I've settled on a quick sanding with 100-grit paper followed by a swipe with acetone, after doing a number of tests using several techniques.
Whenever I'm going to use an unfamiliar finish I test it on a piece of scrap. This saved me from using a finish on padauk, I think it was wipe-on poly, that bled out the red color from the padauk all over the adjoining piece of curly maple.
I usually keep the test pieces around. They make interesting conversation pieces and remind me of a project that I was fond of.

--
Vince Heuring To email, remove the Vince.