Tormek's new drill bit sharpening attachment

There are only a few sizes I wear to dullness...every 2 years or so... I just get new ones. I can't even justify a Drill Doctor and they're low cost. Mind you, most of the drilling I do is done with those combo tapered/ countersink gizmos from Lee Valley... Then there is one size of forstner style bit, a 35 mm, of which I own 3..and I have those sharpened professionally.

I had so many dull bits it was redicklus. ;~) If I only used the bits for wood working I'd probably only buy replacements but I often get into other stuff. And then I break bits at inopertune moments and those can be revived with a sharpening with out having to make a special trip to the store.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote

I used one once a few years back. Seems easy enough, but I've not bought enough bits in my life to justify the cost. Maybe if I was drilling a lot of metal, but I use mostly brad points and forstners as do only hobby work, not production. I'd rather put $25 into bit s that will last me for years.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Leon" wrote

There ya go Leon. You very own dedicated Drill Doctor stand!!

I fully expect Sketchup Drawings, fully documented progress reports and a stunning shop fixture. And since you have demonstrated the capacity to make monumental bedroom furniture, I expect it to be bigger than the drill press! I bet you can make it from two hundred pieces or more.

All kidding aside, as some one who has done a lot of drill press, a dedicated drill press station makes a lot of sense. Hmmmm..., I have to think about that one.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

quoted text -

The less time spent, the better. File the fronts of the ramps, and no more. Wreck the relief, and she won't feed. So much as touch the outside surface of a Forstner with a file, and you can trust the bit to jam every time.

One exception is the 1-1/2" Forstner whose rim I cut saw teeth into with a triangular file. Due to bad machining, the trailing edge of the rim was lower than the ramp. Took all my weight on the drill press to get it to cut. The saw teeth broke up the rim and made the bit feed much more easily.

Reply to
Father Haskell

for a Fein multipurpose tool set. Likewise some will be more than happy to put out the extra bucks for this.

Being ignorant on how the Tromek works, I doubt if it is much better or faster than my Drill Doctor. It took some fiddling to figure it out the first time. But once it is set up, I can go through my bench- box of dull bits in a few minutes.

RonB

Reply to
RonB