Tormek's new drill bit sharpening attachment

I'm speechless.....$255??

tommyboy

attachments would be expensive as well.

That said, it has a big wheel that moves slowly. I would imagine the engineering and physics of a drill sharpening attachment would be different than more traditional arrangements. Which may explain some of the hefty price.

I don't think that very many people who are looking for something to sharpen drill bits are going to run out and buy a Tormek. But I have seen some expensive drill sharpeners for metal shops that do a first class job and sharpen drills in volume. And the price would be similar to this setup or a little less.

Soooo....., this seems to be an expensive accessory for the folks who already own a Tormeck. After all, they have demonstrated an active interest in sharpening things.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Actually a Drill Doctor does the job very very quickly compared to the Tomek set up and for about half the price.

Reply to
Leon

Actually, the Drill Doctor does a better job. On the site they talk about a

4 facet point. The four facet point of the Tormek is inferior to the curved facet grind of the Drill Doctor.
Reply to
CW

A lot less than half.

Max

Reply to
Max

accessories already, so when I got the email about this one I thought I'd be interested. Until I saw the price. The way I figure it, $255 will buy an awful lot of drill bits...

Reply to
Doug Miller

What, youse guys can rationalize gazillions on bailouts and Festerings, but can't spend a measly $600 on a stupid grinder?

-- The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings. -- Okakura Kakuzo

Reply to
Larry Jaques

High price tags for the equipment and especially the price of $260 for the sharpener attachment would come *after* it's gained a decent market share of satisfied customers and supporting tool reviews. I doubt Leon is very willing to be a cash up front guinea pig when it comes to developing that market share.

Reply to
Upscale

That would depend on the model you get. Mine was around $100 but It was not the top of the line model, and now they have one that does spade bits.

Leon

Me too, I have had the Tomek for about 10 years and bought the whole package when it was about $800. Realistically the add on to sharpen bits is worth about $75 IMHO.

Reply to
Leon

Do they have one for brad point or forstner bits yet?

-- The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings. -- Okakura Kakuzo

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Nope not yet.

Reply to
Leon

A couple minutes with a vise and a triangle file can do wonders or most.

Reply to
-MIKE-

For brad point you still need either a Darex or skillz. Never seen an automated sharpener for Forstners, but they aren't all that hard to do by hand.

Reply to
J. Clarke

There are only a few sizes I wear to dullness...every 2 years or so... I just get new ones. I can't even justify a Drill Doctor and they're low cost. Mind you, most of the drilling I do is done with those combo tapered/ countersink gizmos from Lee Valley... Then there is one size of forstner style bit, a 35 mm, of which I own 3..and I have those sharpened professionally.

Reply to
Robatoy

I guess I'll just have to waste a whole minute per bit with a file. ;)

-- "A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." --Edward Abbey

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Larry Jaques" wrote

Bummer. It would be a lot easier though, to spend 15 minutes setting up a machine so you could push the button and have it done in only 30 seconds .

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I agree completely, Leon. If it had been only $75, I'd already own one. But three+ times that? No way.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I think that should read "to spend an extra $575, then spend 15 minutes setting up a machine so you could push the button and have it done in only 30 seconds.", shouldn't it?

-- "A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." --Edward Abbey

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Probably the case with the Tormek, with the Drill Doctor, set up only takes about 5-10 seconds per bit once you get the hang of it. Sharpening takes about 5-15 seconds depending on the size of the bit and the amount being removed. It is so little trouble that I am considering sharpening each bit every time I use one for more than a couple of holes. It takes longer to pull the sharpener out of the carrying bag and plug it in than to mount a bit for sharpening. Once I get into my new shop the sharpener will likely stay out. in close proximity to the DP.

Reply to
Leon