Tormek's new drill bit sharpening attachment

Page 1 of 2
I'm speechless.....$255??
(Amazon.com product link shortened)

Well, the Tormeck is an expensive machine. So it would make sense that it's attachments would be expensive as well.
That said, it has a big wheel that moves slowly. I would imagine the engineering and physics of a drill sharpening attachment would be different than more traditional arrangements. Which may explain some of the hefty price.
I don't think that very many people who are looking for something to sharpen drill bits are going to run out and buy a Tormek. But I have seen some expensive drill sharpeners for metal shops that do a first class job and sharpen drills in volume. And the price would be similar to this setup or a little less.
Soooo....., this seems to be an expensive accessory for the folks who already own a Tormeck. After all, they have demonstrated an active interest in sharpening things.
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote in message

Actually a Drill Doctor does the job very very quickly compared to the Tomek set up and for about half the price.

Actually, the Drill Doctor does a better job. On the site they talk about a 4 facet point. The four facet point of the Tormek is inferior to the curved facet grind of the Drill Doctor.

A lot less than half.
Max

What, youse guys can rationalize gazillions on bailouts and Festerings, but can't spend a measly $600 on a stupid grinder?
<nomex=ON>
-- The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings. -- Okakura Kakuzo

High price tags for the equipment and especially the price of $260 for the sharpener attachment would come *after* it's gained a decent market share of satisfied customers and supporting tool reviews. I doubt Leon is very willing to be a cash up front guinea pig when it comes to developing that market share.

That would depend on the model you get. Mine was around $100 but It was not the top of the line model, and now they have one that does spade bits.
http://www.drilldoctor.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_idq&flypage=flypage.pbv.tabs.tpl&product_id &68&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid

Do they have one for brad point or forstner bits yet?
-- The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings. -- Okakura Kakuzo

Nope not yet.

On 12/18/10 1:21 PM, Leon wrote:

A couple minutes with a vise and a triangle file can do wonders or most.
--

-MIKE-

@swbell.dotnet says...

>>http://www.drilldoctor.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_idq&flypage=flypage.pbv.tabs.tpl&product_id &68&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid
For brad point you still need either a Darex or skillz. Never seen an automated sharpener for Forstners, but they aren't all that hard to do by hand.

I guess I'll just have to waste a whole minute per bit with a file. <deep sigh> ;)
-- "A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." --Edward Abbey

Bummer. It would be a lot easier though, to spend 15 minutes setting up a machine so you could push the button and have it done in only 30 seconds .
On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 22:48:57 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"

I think that should read "to spend an extra $575, then spend 15 minutes setting up a machine so you could push the button and have it done in only 30 seconds.", shouldn't it?
-- "A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." --Edward Abbey
wrote

Probably the case with the Tormek, with the Drill Doctor, set up only takes about 5-10 seconds per bit once you get the hang of it. Sharpening takes about 5-15 seconds depending on the size of the bit and the amount being removed. It is so little trouble that I am considering sharpening each bit every time I use one for more than a couple of holes. It takes longer to pull the sharpener out of the carrying bag and plug it in than to mount a bit for sharpening. Once I get into my new shop the sharpener will likely stay out. in close proximity to the DP.

I used one once a few years back. Seems easy enough, but I've not bought enough bits in my life to justify the cost. Maybe if I was drilling a lot of metal, but I use mostly brad points and forstners as do only hobby work, not production. I'd rather put $25 into bit s that will last me for years.

There ya go Leon. You very own dedicated Drill Doctor stand!!
I fully expect Sketchup Drawings, fully documented progress reports and a stunning shop fixture. And since you have demonstrated the capacity to make monumental bedroom furniture, I expect it to be bigger than the drill press! I bet you can make it from two hundred pieces or more.
All kidding aside, as some one who has done a lot of drill press, a dedicated drill press station makes a lot of sense. Hmmmm..., I have to think about that one.

The less time spent, the better. File the fronts of the ramps, and no more. Wreck the relief, and she won't feed. So much as touch the outside surface of a Forstner with a file, and you can trust the bit to jam every time.
One exception is the 1-1/2" Forstner whose rim I cut saw teeth into with a triangular file. Due to bad machining, the trailing edge of the rim was lower than the ramp. Took all my weight on the drill press to get it to cut. The saw teeth broke up the rim and made the bit feed much more easily.

I own a Tormek, so I'm on their email distribution list. I have most of the accessories already, so when I got the email about this one I thought I'd be interested. Until I saw the price. The way I figure it, $255 will buy an awful lot of drill bits...