tormek good or bad

Page 2 of 2

Yes, it works great, but it is expensive for this sole purpose. You can get your knives sharpened many times over for less than the price of a Tormek. The big advantage of the Tormek over many cheaper sharpeners is that it will restore a "butter knife dull" edge to razor sharp very quickly. Having said that the sharpener helps to pay for itself if you get the extra jigs for sharpening "everything" else that you have.
The Jet may be a considerable cheaper alternative.

I buy good quality knives and I use a sharpening steel. It's nice to be able to slice very thin slices of tomato or onion or whatever.
Max
I would like to say thank you to everyone who posted. I am now aware of options I never even knew existed to make knives sharp Paul

Everything else is preparation for the steel. Tormek or Tormek clones look like nice water cooled grinders. Dry grinding thin blades to a feather edge risks burning them.
If you're handy, you can build a wet grinder from an old garbage disposal. Cut back the case and make your wheels from plexiglas disks with fine grit wet-dry paper contact cemented to one side. 600 grit is fine enough to prepare kitchen knives for the steel.