Tormek for those who cannot afford a Tormek

IF you really want a Tormek and, like me, cannot afford it, you

might try building your own. Here is a jib I made that does, > essentially, the same thing. The only down side is, you need a > mini-lathe to power it.(more details upon request.) > >
Dr. Deb

I have a mini lathe and would like more details.

Thank you

Reply to
Meanie

Its really rather simple. There are only seven items to make.

The banjo nut is just a 3/4" piece sized to fit up under the bed and a 3/8" carriage bolt sized to not hit the cylinder .

The knob it is star shaped and about 4" across, with a 3/8" "T" nut (it mou nts with the "T" up).

The frame is just a 6" wide by 8" 3/4" base which has a 7/16 x 6" slot in t he centered both ways.

The back is 3/4" x 6"x 8" with a 1/4" carriage bolt mounted centered and ab out an 2 1/2" from the top.

Butt the bottom to the back.

To make the back slider, take two 3/4"x1x8 hardwood pieces, attach a 3/4" p iece 6 1/2", and a centered slot for the carriage bolt mounted in the back

5 1/2" long slot and sized to fit between the sides - with the two pieces a ttached to the sides of it. 1" down from the end of the pieces mount a 1/2 " hardwood dowel for the slider to ride on.

The sides are 1/2"x5 1/2x10". Cut a slope from a point 1 1/2" down the lon g side to the opposite corner, with the side toward the headstock cut out f or the chuck. Mount the sides to extend 3/4" beyond the back.

The sliders are just a two pieces of 3/4"x5" hardwood with a 5/8" hole that touches the bottom edge and is 3/4" in from one end. Connect the sides of the hole to the bottom with cuts that angle toward the long end. Slope the opposite side with a cut that starts 5/8" from the end with the hole and e xits 3/8" from the bottom at the opposite end. Cut two 1/4"x2 3/4x3 pieces of plywood. Mount sides to one of the pieces. Mount a 1/4x3/8x3 piece of plywood (this serves as an alignment point) on the left side of the slider (viewed from the end with the holes) Place the other piece on top and dril l a 3/16" hole through each side piece and the plywood 1 1/2 from the narro w end. Install a screw and wing nut in each hole.

The business end of this is a cylinder made up of 3 pieces of 7 1/2"diamete r MDF glued together, with a 1/2"carriage bolt as the axle, and trued on yo ur late. (I mount it in a a chuck with pin jaws.)

Mount your chisel in the slider, giving yourself as much length as possible . Adjust both the distance and height to match the angle on your chisel, charge the cylinder with Tripoli and sharpen. (I am making two wheels, one for Tripoli and one for Diamond or Red Rouge. Tripoli gives an edge tha t will slice a piece of paper held on edge and the other would be for polis hing.)

Enjoy

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb