Topcoat vs. Wax

I am a rookie. I just built a four post bed out of Poplar, which I stained with a General Finish Mahogany Gel Wax. I've sanded them down and love the look. Now I want to know what I should do next. General makes a Satin Topcoat which I was thinking about using - the other option is Briwax. Any suggestions? Please help. Thanks.

Reply to
WoodworkerTed

I'd have to assume that General Finish Mahogany Gel Wax should read GFMG stain.

As a finish wax provides on protection to speak of though wax on a finish does does help keep the finish looking good.

That said and considering a bed doesn't need a hell of a lot of protection you could probably get away with wax but I'd be inclined to lean towards a Danish oil.

When talking about a wax or oil finish vs a surface finish, satin or otherwise, you are talking apples and oranges as far as looks and protection go.

Reply to
MikeG

You might consider a poly finish such as MinWax wipe on Poly and top of with a wax. The wax finish on top of the poly really is not needed but it can add luster.

Reply to
RonB