Topcoat Recomendations

I am in the process of finishing a project for SWMBO and she has requested that it be painted :-(
Anyway, I am using Benjamin Moore's Oil-based Satin Impervo product and am at a bit of a loss to identify a suitable topcoat for it and am looking for recomendations.
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/wrapper_pg3.asp?L=prod&K=intprods&groupid#&productid 0#article
The piece will see some normal wear but nothing out of the ordinary. However, it is quite likely that drinks will be set on it from time to time. I am looking for something compatable with the oil paint that will have the following characteristics;
- Somewhat durable - Satin to semi-gloss lustre. - Will be relatively clear although I don't mind something that will age to a nice patina. I would like to stay away from anything that leaves it with a "plastic" look. - Can be applied via spraying from a 3-stage HVLP. - Be somewhat resistant to cold liquids (drinks will sometimes be set on it). - Can accept a periodic coat of paste wax.
Can anyone recommend a product that has all (or most) of these characteristics?
Thanks in advance for your time . . .
Larry
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

I don't get it. With a quality, oil-based enamel, why should you want or need a top coat?
This isn't milk paint we're talking about.
Patriarch
Patriarch, that may very well be the case - I have just never finished a piece with oil paint before so I was in "head-scratching" mode with this one. I have finished about 1,000 miles of interior trim with the paint and never top-coated any of it so I suppose it does make sense that it would not need one. I just thought that adding a top-coat would give it a bit of extra protection. Taking it to "11" if you will. :-)
FWW had an article on finishing with paint a few months ago and if I recall they hinted around a top-coat but never provided specifics but I believe they were using latex paint.
Anyone disagree with Patriarch and think one is required?
Thanks for the reply . . .
Larry
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

if you aren't comfortable with the paint as applied, top coat it with a second coat of the same paint. really, good oil paint is as durable as anything you might put on top of it. wax will make it a tad shinier and a little easier to clean, but won't protect it from wear or dings or anything like that.

If you want more durability, put a glass top on it. Easy to clean and drinks won't mar it.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in
<snip>

Nice Spinal Tap reference!
I like Ed's glass top idea. No rubbing out!
Patriarch
Paint IS a top coat.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

No. The oil paint *is* a "top coat".