Topcoat Recomendations

I am in the process of finishing a project for SWMBO and she has requested that it be painted :-(

Anyway, I am using Benjamin Moore's Oil-based Satin Impervo product and am at a bit of a loss to identify a suitable topcoat for it and am looking for recomendations.

piece will see some normal wear but nothing out of the ordinary. However, it is quite likely that drinks will be set on it from time to time. I am looking for something compatable with the oil paint that will have the following characteristics;

- Somewhat durable

- Satin to semi-gloss lustre.

- Will be relatively clear although I don't mind something that will age to a nice patina. I would like to stay away from anything that leaves it with a "plastic" look.

- Can be applied via spraying from a 3-stage HVLP.

- Be somewhat resistant to cold liquids (drinks will sometimes be set on it).

- Can accept a periodic coat of paste wax.

Can anyone recommend a product that has all (or most) of these characteristics?

Thanks in advance for your time . . .

Larry

Reply to
larrygfox

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I don't get it. With a quality, oil-based enamel, why should you want or need a top coat?

This isn't milk paint we're talking about.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Patriarch, that may very well be the case - I have just never finished a piece with oil paint before so I was in "head-scratching" mode with this one. I have finished about 1,000 miles of interior trim with the paint and never top-coated any of it so I suppose it does make sense that it would not need one. I just thought that adding a top-coat would give it a bit of extra protection. Taking it to "11" if you will. :-)

FWW had an article on finishing with paint a few months ago and if I recall they hinted around a top-coat but never provided specifics but I believe they were using latex paint.

Anyone disagree with Patriarch and think one is required?

Thanks for the reply . . .

Larry

Reply to
larrygfox

if you aren't comfortable with the paint as applied, top coat it with a second coat of the same paint. really, good oil paint is as durable as anything you might put on top of it. wax will make it a tad shinier and a little easier to clean, but won't protect it from wear or dings or anything like that.

Reply to
bridger

If you want more durability, put a glass top on it. Easy to clean and drinks won't mar it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1122058327.085229.320770 @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Nice Spinal Tap reference!

I like Ed's glass top idea. No rubbing out!

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Paint IS a top coat.