TOp coat for desktop?

Its red oak 3/4 ply, with 1/8 oak as the desk top surface. Im going to stain and put a on several coats of semigloss clear. What would be the best clear coat to use for durability? It wouldnt necessary be written on but would have books, and staplers, and etc slid across its surface. Lacquer or Polyurethane? 1/2 hr to recoat time is nice thing about lacquer but I have lots of time also to put poly on if its more durable.
thanks for any tips
I've refinished a number of tables. Poly is MUCH more durable. So what, it takes a day to properly dry. Don't be in a hurry! I have a cedar chest made by my father-in-law that I refinished for my wife/wife-to-be in 1959 with poly, and it looks as good as the day I did it. I am inclined to the matte finish polys, however. I have used gloss on a handrail, but that is to deal with finger prints, etc. Three or four thin coats and rubbing down between should do the trick nicely.
thanks. I think poly is the way to go.