Tooting my own horn this time

Page 1 of 3

Yesterday, I got author's copies of my newest book, Woodworker's Pocket Reference (Fox Chapel, May 2005), ISBN 1-56523-239-9. You can get off Amazon or order direct from Fox Chapel (www.foxchapelpublishing.com).
It's a bit shorter than I'd have liked but the editors and design people did a great job: apron pocket size, spiral binding, heavy duty paper and even heavier covers.
None of the traditional woodworking outlets seem to have it yet, at least on-line.
Good luck with the book Charlie.
Chuck
OH GREAT. Now Charlie has become a spammer.
JUST KIDDING! :)
Good luck with the book, I will be looking for it.
SteveP.

Congratulations, Charlie. It is a bit like giving birth, eh? I wish you success!
Robatoy wrote:

birth, at least in that respect. And it's now supposed to support me, at least in part, instead of me supporting it, another difference.
<snip>

So, do books keep costing you money for the next 25+ years after publication? ;-)
Patriarch
ps: Congrats, Charley! I'll see about buying one soon!
Congrats But I have to ask... Is it really EVERYTHING a Woodworker Needs to Know at a Glance??? $14.95 is a real bargin. <Teasing> Good luck with it.

Why should I buy the book when I can just ask him? <G>
Are you offering autographed copies?
Barry
Ba r r y wrote:

last copy, and after this, it's pay up time. Of course, I get a discount, but then the mailing and envelopes and the fact I live 10 miles from where all the supplies are and...
If I knew a couple dozen people wanted it signed, I could order some copies, stock up on envelopes and try to figure my break even point, but there's no way on earth I can match Amazon's price.
Charlie Self wrote:

Hi Charlie,
    If you get enough request you can put me on the list for an autographed copy. With a "Genuine autographed copy!" you don't have to compete with Amazon. If you get enough requests figure out what the cost would be ping me on the back channel (email below is real on this post) and I'll drop a check in the mail.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Pretty sad that Amazon can sell cheaper than the author can buy them.
How about you take names, and if the quantity seems worth it, we send you the money up front. You won't get stuck that way as we pay full price to get your autograph. Ed
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Not really that bad. I'd guess that Amazon orders in quantities I don't even have room to stack, so gets the maximum discount.

Let's try this: I think the envelopes cost me about 75 cents each. Book rate mail should be fairly low, under two bucks, so I'll send autographed copies for $16.50, which leaves me a bit for my time doing labels, and doesn't gouge you guys too badly. I think.
If you're interested, email me, and if the list gets long enough (say at least a dozen), I'll order the books and post a note here as to when they're due in. Then, y'all can send checks and I'll send the books as soon as they arrive...I'll try to find out how long that will be, too. Remember, book rate tends to take at least a week, sometimes two, to arrive.
wrote in message

see if you can get a local book store to add it to their order. you'll get their discount.
Charles Spitzer wrote:

I am pretty sure my author's discount is about equal to what a small bookstore would get.
wrote in message

Get them from Amazon :)
MikeG wrote:

LOL. I said I can't match their price...but add shipping and tax to Amazon's price and I'd probably have to get $18.50 each to make a buck a copy.

I'll send you a 20 dollar bill in the mail to get an autographed copy. Just tell me when. I got your address from your resume page. Nice one!
--
Best regards
Han

If my sister (herbologist and now N.D., book monger) is any indication, book dealers (and anyone purchasing a volume of 10 or more books per title) generally get a 50+% discount. With Amazon, any order over $25 ships free, so your costs would be minimal, Charlie, and they may give you an even better discount as the author.
Ping me offline, sil vous plait.
========================================================== Save the Endangered Bouillons from being cubed! http://www.diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online ==========================================================

That's what I was thinking.
I don't want a discount.
Barry

If I buy my own copy, send it to you, include return postage, would you sign it? That's what I was thinking.
I think that would be nice, and I don't mind paying shipping both ways.
Thanks, Barry