Tools from an estate

Page 1 of 2
Good evening, all! Just curious about what I got. I went to a house where the son was selling some tools owned by his father who recently passed. Picked up a vise that attaches to the side of a bench/table, says Zyliss Swiss precision on it, paid $10.
Also got a couple planes. I've never owned any as I'm just getting started in woodworking, but figured these would be a cheap way to learn about planes. One says Sargent VBM No. 408C, New Haven CT, and has 8 flutes in the base. Looks to be in pretty good shape, without any rust on it. Obviously has been used but I don't know how to appraise how much use it's had.
The other plane I picked up was a Stanley Bailey No. 5 with flutes in the bottom, also. Again, used but no rust and looks to be in OK shape. I paid $20 total for the two planes. Any information about them would be appreciated, including where I could find more about their value and if they would be considered collectible or just good to learn with.

not sure about the Sargent, though. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!
Dave in Indy
On 26 Dec 2004 22:01:55 -0800, "Dave in Indy"

Excuse me.. Arrgghhh, the putz!

A good buy, they're handy vises

Good thinking!

Post pics on abpf to get the full effect of the gloat.

Most likely a pre 1970 plane, a good user.

Yep, they always have to rub it in.

eB*y can give some idea, Google searches may help too. Clearly identify the tool first though. (People tend to get upset when they find out why the guy ran away smirking with dad's old saw - the one they paid ten bucks for - you know, the one that had the Panther's head on it).

Neither are rare, but research for yourself, go to
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0.htm
Greg
"Dave in Indy" writes:

That's about what it is worth.
Others can comment on the rest of your booty.
Lew

Jeez, a guy can't even post a gloat without someone checking out his booty.
B.
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 06:47:13 -0500, "Buddy Matlosz"

thanks... I was thinking of using coffee to clean my keyboard and monitor, anyway..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Guess again. They typically go for over $50 on eBay, $75 to $100 with a full set of accessories.
"Doug Miller" writes:

full
What's the old saying about a fool and his money?
If you paid me $10 to take one of those toys, I'd probably pass unless I had one of those e-bay type buyers lined up.
YMMV
Lew
regarding Zyliss:
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 18:52:08 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

having worked with one for a while I'll chime in.
the people who have them and like them really like them.
I think a lot of them live under the bench most of the time gathering dust.
for what they are- a versatile lightweight workholding device- they work well, but IMO are overpriced. if you're looking for a heavy machine vise, for get it.
for the price of a new one I'd rather have an emmert clone.
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 13:05:09 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:
Never underestimate what you can find at an estate sales, you can still find good old American made drills, forstner bits and hand files for cents. Better than the imports which now flooding the markets.

Ayup.
Ayup. Hauled mine out earlier this afternoon, though. I don't need to use it often, but when I do it's darn handy to have.

That's why I bought mine used on eBay instead of new at the Woodworking Show.

Ayup.
Yeah, well, for the price of a used one I'm pretty happy with the Z-vise. :-)
Dave in Indy wrote:

Those "flutes" mean they are "corrugated." Some people like that, but I think most think it was a dumb idea. Depending on the mood of the buyer, a -C is either something worth paying a premium for, or it's a reason to bid low and walk away if you didn't get it cheap.

Youuuuuu sssssssssssSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just found (or was shown; I forgot) a handy little flowchart for Stanley planes. You can count how many blimzles and tweelzes it has, and whether it's got any floozles, and figure out what type it is.
http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/dating/dating_flowchart.html
I can't find diddly about Sargent planes. I just went looking, and I didn't turn up anything worth passing along. They're pretty rare, but I don't think that makes the collectible. Everybody is all hot and bothered over old Stanley stuff. Could be because the old Stanley stuff out-sold everything else 100:1, or outlasted everything else 100:1, or it could be people are just hung up on Stanley.
I dunno, I'm not a collector. I just use'em, and I take whatever I can get. I have some old Stanleys, some bona fide Mystery Planes about which I have no information at all, and one Sargent. The Sargent seems like a perfectly good plane, though I haven't gotten it in service far enough to do much of anything with it yet. (It should work much better now that I finally got around to replacing the grossly pitted iron with a new one from LV, but I'm not done polishing the new iron yet.)
If you can't find any helpful hints, I'm sure someone will feed you all the usual URLs. I don't have them close at hand. It sounds like those planes are clean, and in good shape, so you might just have to hone the irons and make some shavings.
If you don't have a good sharpening setup, that's the first place to start. These things don't work worth a much with a dull iron. You want to get them sharp enough to shave hairs off a gnat's ass. Sharpening methods abound. I'm in the Scary Sharp(tm) camp.
If you don't have one already, you'll probably want to think about a good workbench too. Bench planes are hard to use without a workbench. That vise you got might be good. I have no idea. If you want a good hunk of iron for not much money, I recommend eBaying around for anything from the Morgan Vise Co., or any similar early 20th century iron stuff. I have a Morgan 10A, I think it is, that I got for free. It was a royal bitch to get it working again, but it was worth it. It's soooo much better than those new ones they're selling for $100. I just looked on eBay, and I don't see anything currently. Oh well, the one you have will probably do for now anyway. I made do with some little $12 cheapie from Lowe's for a long time, and I still use that in conjunction with my new old one to hold long boards.
If you don't have a good sharpening setup, that's the first place to start. These things don't work worth a much with a dull iron. You want to get them sharp enough to shave hairs off a gnat's ass. Sharpening methods abound. I'm in the Scary Sharp(tm) camp
Why do people always put a (tm) after Scary Sharp? Is it the name of something special? AFAIK, it's just using sandpaper glued to something flat, right? I've been using wetdry sandpaper to sharpen chisels and plane blades for about 15 years, since my buddy worked for Norton Co and got paper cheap....is there more to it?

I believe the original article giving it that name was posted on the Wreck by an old-time wrecker with a wicked sense of humor. Although the technique has been around for a long time and he probably didn't invent it, I believe he coined the name Scary Sharp(TM) and satiricly appended the (TM) to so indicate.

Uh, we try not to cut to the chase too much around here, okay. Otherwise people will think we're just hobbyists spending lots of money and time on tools when we could be solving the issues of world peace somewhere.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:31:49 +0000, LRod

IIRC it was keeter.

you really don't need to glue it. surface tension of the water used as a lubricant holds it on well enough....

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 10:22:38 -0700, bridger wrote:

Zee Keeterless originalee:
<http://www.shavings.net/SCARY.HTM#original
--
Joe Wells

I was under the impression it was O'Deen. Probably because there's a section in it by him. But I didn't see it in the original, so I don't know.

It's also on my site.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Steve LaMantia or last name close to that keep popping up on the original writer/author.
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 18:53:33 +0000, LRod

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 08:45:26 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net"

I always assumed that was a nom de web, like "keeter," "Duke of URLs," "Unisaw A100."
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
My understanding the name is valid and he used to haunt these halls. IIRC Spokeshave and others of that ilk whose names escape me knew Steve. Original script of his is HILARIOUS.
On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:12:06 +0000, LRod

LRod wrote:

I just reposted the original. Take a look at the e-mail addy. Sure looks like a real name to me.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work