tools for working wood

Does anyone have experience with this online retailer? I like their selection, but their webpage is rough enough to make me honestly sceptical. Hate to be nervous, but slick webpages make me feel comfortable in this world of online scams

Andrew

Reply to
Tattooed and Dusty

"Tattooed and Dusty" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

This fellow has a good reputation, and has been around for some time. He's an active participant on at least one forum. Excellent selection of hand tools. Knows the 'old ways' pretty well.

I'd suggest starting with a modest order, for two reasons.

1) You get to make your own opinion.

2) You can spend some serious change on chisels, planes, braces, saws, shaves, measuring tools, bits, augers, rasps, etc.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I ordered a wood smoothing plane from them a year or so ago and had a very good experience.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

I had been considering Shapton stones, and found this site with a deal

-- got a set of 1000, 5000, and 8000 Shapton Professional stones for about $205, or about $30 less than buying separate stones from Woodcraft or about anyone else I could find.

Shipp> Does anyone have experience with this online retailer? I like their

Reply to
Dave Miller

FWIW, 14 year olds running PayPal phishing scams have GREAT looking sites.

The subject vendor has done right by me.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

That's a dead serious topic. I got suckered into giving information to a fake escrow service. The web site was very slick. I just thank god that the scam became pretty obvious and that I used some basic precautions out of habit.

Reply to
Hax Planx

Woodcraft

I bought the same set about 2 months ago, I love them. Before was using scary sharp, with the Shaptons the process is much faster, much sharper, and less trouble. Not to mention I can take a stone to a soccer practice and do a set of chisels/blade blades in a matter of minutes while I talk with other parents or the curious little kids.

Joel was great to deal with, shipping was via fed ex ground, well priced. I plan to buy from them again. Probably a courser shapton next.

Alan

Reply to
arw01

Uh, _which_ online retailer? No URL appears in your article.

Reply to
fredfighter

I would say it's safe to assume you haven't ordered anything from them, the name of the discussion

Tools for Working Wood

Thanks though

Reply to
Tattooed and Dusty

Oh, it's

you sure your browser is OK? In Firefox it is one of the best commercial websites I have seen. No flash, no animations, no music, no large images, no popups, all the pages load quickly and navigation is simple and straightforward.

Reply to
fredfighter

Hey all, So I received my order today from Tools For Working Wood and can easily say I would order from them again. The invoice even had a handwritten note thanking me for my order.

Andrew

Reply to
Tattooed and Dusty

That sounds good, I am going to order my first Norton water stones from them, will be my first order with them. I also want the Ashley Iles American pattern butt chisels. What did you get?

Reply to
AAvK