Tools and accessories to buy from HF

If it says Pittsburgh - buy it. I've not ever broken a socket, chisel, punch, etc with the Pittsburgh logo
--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .

I was going to buy a small kit for the truck. 130 piece or something. I got to HF and took one look at it. The packaging said Pittsburgh, but none of the absolutely reeking potmetal crap in it did. I pointed it out to the clerk and she said she didn't know/couldn't do anything about it. That's the only Pittsburgh item I've ever turned down buying on quality issues. No wonder it was on sale for $3.99...
--
If government were a product,
selling it would be illegal.
On 2/16/2013 8:04 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Was that their 3/4" drive set? LOL!
Oh boy, OP. You really started something-----
Sorry, but MY secret of which stuff TO buy from HF is so good that I don't want anyone to know about it. If it got around, HF would probably have change things.
I will say, however, that they are excellent on return policies. Ya know, the people who work at the stores are not necessarily Chinese. They are American human beings and their management seems to want to please the customer!!! Imagine that!
Pete Stanaitis ---------------

se

You know, they razed the old HF that we had for years here. The moved to a better part of town, and into a brand new building. It is spotlessly clean inside and the shelves are always stocked and in order. I thought I was on a Candid Camera set the first time I went in.
Then they started this new line of marketing called "customer service" where they try to make their customers happy and provide great service. They will rain check anything in sale and even call when it comes in. Their warranty policy isn't like I am used to where >> I << take a broken tool to an authorized repair center and they call me and let me know if the repairs are covered.
These guys simply look you up on their computer, then when they find you, you go get a brand new tool off the shelf. And for most of their products they offer this full replacement warranty (small extra charge) for up to three years.
I am not so sure I like all this customer service wise guy crap they are doing now or their proven return policy they seem to uphold with no questions. I am not sure customer service works for me. Yes, I have had it before, but it was a long time ago and I don't really remember what it is like. In this day and age it could be a recipe for disaster.
Robert
On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 06:27:21 -0500, Mike Marlow wrote:

When I brought back my multi-tool because the blade kept coming loose, they actually refunded my money - that's what'll do them in.
I'm reminded of the sporting goods retailer who told me, several decades ago, about all the people who bought a tent before a holiday and brought it back with some excuse shortly after the holiday. I just shook my head in disbelief.
carrying a cross.
Larry Blanchard wrote:

In my other life as a photographer, chickie-poos were apt to buy a gown for their prom then return it. Seems to me that retailers and customers are a two way street and they should both play fair.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

"SHOULD" is the key word. Unfortunately, in this "ME" society, should becomes "Screw you".
Meanie wrote:

Yes, from what I've observed, people who do this sort of thing don't have a perspective largeenough to include anyone but themself. If they can get away with it, then they link it's"fair".
On 2/17/2013 1:06 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Actually the HF by me (1 hour drive) has told me that certain items are no longer returnable unless you pay a restocking fee. I found this out when I bought the fountain pump for my basement sink. I was shocked.
But then I see all these yahoos buy a tool use it and return it, and realize that they are spearheading this restocking fee effort.
--
Jeff

woodchucker wrote:

"Use" and "try it out" are really two different things.
I bought a log-splitter from HF. It took someone with the muscles of the Great Atlas to split the logs I had! Certainly not me.
When I returned the log splitter, I told the staff the problem and, even thought the tool was 'used', they took it back with no dispute.
On 2/18/13 7:33 AM, HeyBub wrote:

They offer a 100% satisfaction guaranty. That's very subjective and leaves a lot of room for interpretation. I have returned my fare share of things to HF. Some where simply crap and no one would ever question it. Others fell somewhere under that 100% satisfaction cap.
I have a conscience and my integrity is worth more than many people's, which I bet is the same for most in this group. There have been times when I've had to wrestle a bit with returning something that I used and it accomplished the job, but for which I wasn't 100% satisfied. One parameter I use when deciding, is will I likely buy this tool again, somewhere, to use again. Meaning, was this really just a "free rental plan" for me or was this I tool I actually intend to keep and use? Even if not in the near future.
One such instance was with their bridge tile saw. I bought it and used it for our bathroom(s) remodel. It workd and did the job, but I wasn't 100% satisfied with it, by any stretch. Its miter fence is plastic and very difficult to adjust. Its table leaks water too easily and should have a better gutter system. According to their rules, not mine, it would've been completely and ethically fine for me to return that saw. But not according to my rules and my conscience.
In those cases and in cases where I know I'm using a tool for a specific job that I'm likely not wanting to keep, I will buy the tool, use it for the job, and sell the thing on craigslist.
--

-MIKE-

you

OK, I have decided I don't like customer service. Not one bit. I had to return a couple of items to HD today, you know, the store where the Sunday crew usually wishes they were cleaning stables in the stockyard rather than to be there.
They couldn't get the SKU to work right on their machine even though I had a receipt... .even though I just wanted credit back to my commercial account...
It took a high level conference with a snotty twenty something "manager" of some sort between two different people do to decide how to properly handle the credit to my account. After another 10 minutes of random key strokes, the finally got the account credited properly. Finally, it came to one of them that they had actually missed a keystroke along the way. Upon that discovery, the "manager" took it upon himself to take the young, nervous, attractive young teen under his nerdy protective wing and make it a teaching moment before he finalized my transaction.
Total time to return galvanized pipe joint fitting? Almost 25 minutes.
NOW THAT is the customer service I am used to. It was like sitting in a comfortable old chair to sit down on the water softener salt and watch the monkeys play with the machines.
My experience with HF is much less irritating and certainly not as entertaining. I go with a receipt, they take the product back and it takes less than 5 minutes. I hate it. Gimme 25 minutes and a bag of popcorn to take care of a routine 5 minute transaction and I will be happy at my normal outlets. I am so used to shitty customer service I think it is my comfort zone.
Robert

Next time you are in Houston go grocery shopping at Randall's. Once upon a time in the 70's and early to late 80's this was a grocery store that others wished they could be. A little pricey, that has not changed, but the service was superior and you did not carry out your groceries at the one near us. Now Randall's is owned by Safeway and is the only way that Safeway can survive in Houston, they never made it under their own name. Want shitty service, go to Randall's!

Careful Rob, you hang out whith Leon and Swingy... Leon hob knobs with the Festoolies, I'm not sure he'll want to associate with you if you keep this up. ;-)
--
Jeff

On 2/17/2013 5:25 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Robert is an official honorary auditor of the FIG. Swingman is the president, he has the cap.

If he leaves it at your house, does that make you the president? *g*
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Ah yes, "The Cap". ... I am indeed the (temporary) custodian of that exalted item. It was bestowed (temporarily) by a certain Festool Drug deal,err Lord for unflagging, budgetary fealty to the cause; termination of custody immediate upon purchase of any large tool from a Pacific rim purveyor of inferior products, due to insufficient means to maintain said budgetary fealty, temporary or otherwise.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

On 2/17/2013 8:03 PM, Swingman wrote:

Give him the whole contract, not just a short explanation in a nut shell. ;~)

LMAO!!
Robert