Toolboxes then/now

Found this thread on Make online: http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2009/10/toolboxes_now_and_then.html It's a photo of a contemporary plastic B&D ROS tool box and an older oak one that held a valve grinder. The box now would cost more than the tool inside. I'm working on a similar project; a set of custom took boxes for small hand tools. I'm going shopping first thing Black Friday for the tools. I'll be using pre-made "carcasses" from Hobby Lobby and applying inlays and veneers on the outside and who knows on the inside. Will post back when it's done.
On 10/29/2009 1:35 PM 'lektric dan spake thus:

Good for you.
I think all plastic toolboxes ought to be carted over to the nearest active volcano and thrown inside the caldera.
--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?
David Nebenzahl wrote:

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2009/10/toolboxes_now_and_then.html
Speaking of plastic tool boxes, how many use the plastic totes that all power tools seem to come in? Once I extract the tools I might as well throw the boxes away, I never use them again.
--
http://www.welshpembrokecorgis.com

I use mine until I can build a permanent place to keep them, then store them for the next move. What frosts me is the total lack of storage space in most of the cases. Wouldn't it make sense to leave room for a drill index in a cordless drill case? At least the case for my Dewalt circular saw has a decent place to keep blades.
krw wrote:

As does my Dewalt reciprocating saw. It even has enough room to store a 6' extension cord!
Of course you have to remove the blade to get the saw in the container...
HeyBub wrote:

That's one thing about the Fein Multimaster--the case has storage for a tremndous lot of accessories.
krw wrote:

Likewise, my Hitachi circular saw case has room for blade storage, but I can't get past the thought that it would have cost $15 less without the blow molded box.
Ok, I'm a tightwad :)
basilisk
--
http://www.welshpembrokecorgis.com

...amongst other things. :)~
Apparently there are people that buy the blow-molded boxes. I've sold some on eBay. You won't get rich selling them, but it's better than tossing them in the recycling bin.

How very thoughtful of Dewalt. My Porter-Cable circular saw came with a plastic case, and it barely has room for the cord attached to the saw. The rip fence accessory--an official accessory, although one that did not come with the saw--doesn't properly fit anywhere in the case with the saw. The only way I've found to get them both in is to stuff the fence lengthwise between the saw motor and base plate, which is hardly an ideal solution. I don't think a spare blade would fit anywhere, and a speed square or extension cord certainly doesn't.
What is most irksome, though, is that there is plenty of space that could have been used to permit some of these bits and pieces to fit in nicely, had somebody bothered to make an extra divot or two in the case mold. It's almost as though they studiously avoided making the case handy for people who actually use the tool besides just storing it.
It is a nice saw, though.
--
Andrew Erickson

If you have limited storge space or need to transport the tools to a jobsite, they can come in handy.
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 14:35:34 -0700 (PDT), "'lektric dan"

But I'll bet the ROS has a better chance of surviving a drop (or the USPS) in the blow-mold case.
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 14:35:34 -0700 (PDT), "'lektric dan"

This is a timely post for me because I just finished a box for my bench chisels. It took several months because a kitchen remodel and new siding, windows and doors kept getting in the way. Actually the kitchen still isn't finished but my chisel box is!
http://s692.photobucket.com/albums/vv290/dobripw/Chisel%20Box /
Gordon Shumway
One positive thing about 'Cash for Clunkers' is that it took thousands of Obama bumper stickers off the road.
Gordon Shumway wrote:

Very nice! Nothing quite so wonderful as a fine set of chisels, and they deserve an equally wonderful place to be stored. I wish I could say my chisels have such a fine place to live!

Who needs a kitchen when you have fine chisel storage!?!?

Sweet! I'm still trying to plan out what I want to put in my tool box. I can either get the box then buy the tools to fit, or buy the tools and find a box to fit...or I could just buy all the tools and can then only afford the free plastic bag they came in...