Tool You Just Love To Use

Page 3 of 3

Stationary Belt sander. Didn't think I'd use it that much, but it turns out I use it almost as much as the table saw. Kinda makes me want to invest in a full sized stroke sander and an edge sander one of these days. Could do without the disc, though- I've had the thing for two or three years, and haven't used the disc sander more than a dozen times, and it just gets in the way.
Works great for presanding parts, and smoothing out rough curves from the bandsaw. Cleans up imperfectly aligned miters like a champ, too.
Prometheus wrote:

Bingo - my choice as well, although I use both disc and belt about equally. The disc is soooooooooo much easier and more accurate than any saw I've ever had for mitres. And, as you say, pre-sanding with the belt is a snap.
FoggyTown

I was going to say my LV bevel-up jointer, but I'm wondering...does a tractor count? Because it came to mind first. New Holland TC-35

the most quietly balanced hum of any power tool I've used since a 25 year old Powermatic Table saw long gone. Since the little jointer only cost $350 I was shocked upon turning it on the first time. Sometimes I turn it on just to listen. I was expecting a rough beast and found excellence.

Tim Taylor wrote:

Gee, you would have to knock me back to reality. No, I have not had to replace the blades yet....but have purchased a Jointer Pal (?) system with magnets that are supposed to hold the blades at the outfeed height for setting. Not looking foreward to changing them. Do you have any tips/experience with the blades you want to share? If all fails I will just push the machine into the corner and just listen to it every once in a while.

included when I bought the animal worked out fine. It would have been easier with a third hand though. I did use a real wrench, the one supplied I threw away when I got it out of the box. If, no, WHEN, I have to replace them again, I'm going to figure out a way to put a magnet or duct tape or something on the jig to hold it to the cutter head. Other than that, they wasn't bad. And I'm like you, it's like a good old perfectly tuned Mustang, just sounds good. Let me know when and if you use your Jointer Pal. If it does a decent job, I'll get me one.
Tom Banes wrote:

A 16 lb sledge hammer.
--
Jack Novak