tool to cut plugs for carpenter bees?

I want to plug my carpenter bee holes in my redwook play gym with some stock redwood I have. What tool do I use?

Thanks,

Don in GA

Reply to
Don Smith

I just know there's a hook attached to this one. A plug cutter, check Lee Valley.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave in fairfax

Drill out the holes to some standard size, say 1/4". Make plugs from your redwood using a plug cutter. Apply glue, tap in, sand flush. Complain to shop steward about carpenter bees. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

1/4" for carpenter's bees? They on a low carb diet or something?

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

You need a plug cutter like those at:

sure to spray insecticide in the hole before plugging. I've also heard it helps to stuff the holes with steel wool.

-Dave

Reply to
Dave Plumpe

I use latex caulk. Comes in colors to match, and one size fits all.

I've had problems with carpenter bees in the rafters of the porch on my shop for several years now. The holes they drill travel lenthways in the rafter and may be over a foot long. I began to worry about them weakening the structure.

I tried wasp & hornet spray. They're much tougher than wasps; they just fly off. I tried running a wire into the hole and spearing them. That's effective, but tedious. If I see one buzzing around, I'll just suck him up in the shop vac. Beats swatting at them with a broom; those suckers are fast. Just remember to wait a few days before emptying. Then, a couple of weeks ago, I was cooking catfish under the porch for a party. Two 165,000 BTU burners going for 30 minutes or so. Those critters started dropping out of the holes like rain! I counted 4 that came out of one hole. They seemed pretty woozy from the heat and just dropped to the floor and waited to be stepped on. Two fell right into the hot oil and didn't cause anymore trouble. I just quietly fished them out and kept my mouth shut. Should I have fed them to my guests?

DonkeyHody "If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?"

Reply to
DonkeyHody

Carburetor cleaner works really well too. My all time favorite is a yardstick and a game of Bee Baseball....

BTW, what do deep fried carpenter bees taste like?

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

Hi, a tennis racket or makes a pretty good carpenter bee swatter.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Tue, Jul 27, 2004, 5:57pm snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (Don=A0Smith) wants to know: I want to plug my carpenter bee holes in my redwook play gym with some stock redwood I have. What tool do I use?

If you drill some holes, I think about 3/8", in a chunk of 2X4, and hang it up, likely they'll be attracted to it, and leave your gym alone. I also understand painted wood deters them.

Where can I buy redwook at?

JOAT The highway of fear is the road to defeat.

- Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE

J T

Damn, these catish are good!!! What's your secret??? Do you add anything special to the oil???

You shoulda invited a bug dude to your party and had him spray the area as a favor. I work in the real estate biz... Don't fool around trying to remedy yourself. Get a pro before it gets bad. Spray treatments are cheap. While he's there, have him spray down your lumber pile too

SS

Reply to
Sam Schmenk

Not here in western NY those suckers ate thru the facia on both sides of my garage and it was northern WP primed and painted on all 4 sides ;(

Reply to
White Buffalo Wood