tool to cut plugs for carpenter bees?

I want to plug my carpenter bee holes in my redwook play gym with some stock redwood I have. What tool do I use?
Thanks,
Don in GA
Don Smith wrote:

I just know there's a hook attached to this one. A plug cutter, check Lee Valley.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Don Smith wrote:

Drill out the holes to some standard size, say 1/4". Make plugs from your redwood using a plug cutter. Apply glue, tap in, sand flush. Complain to shop steward about carpenter bees.     mahalo,     jo4hn

1/4" for carpenter's bees? They on a low carb diet or something?
UA100
You need a plug cutter like those at: http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?&offerings_id 614&objectgroup_id0&catid=7&filter=plug%20cutter
Be sure to spray insecticide in the hole before plugging. I've also heard it helps to stuff the holes with steel wool. -Dave
--
http://plumpe.home.mindspring.com
email: snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com

I use latex caulk. Comes in colors to match, and one size fits all.
I've had problems with carpenter bees in the rafters of the porch on my shop for several years now. The holes they drill travel lenthways in the rafter and may be over a foot long. I began to worry about them weakening the structure.
I tried wasp & hornet spray. They're much tougher than wasps; they just fly off. I tried running a wire into the hole and spearing them. That's effective, but tedious. If I see one buzzing around, I'll just suck him up in the shop vac. Beats swatting at them with a broom; those suckers are fast. Just remember to wait a few days before emptying. Then, a couple of weeks ago, I was cooking catfish under the porch for a party. Two 165,000 BTU burners going for 30 minutes or so. Those critters started dropping out of the holes like rain! I counted 4 that came out of one hole. They seemed pretty woozy from the heat and just dropped to the floor and waited to be stepped on. Two fell right into the hot oil and didn't cause anymore trouble. I just quietly fished them out and kept my mouth shut. Should I have fed them to my guests?
DonkeyHody "If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?"
Carburetor cleaner works really well too. My all time favorite is a yardstick and a game of Bee Baseball....
BTW, what do deep fried carpenter bees taste like? <grin>

Hi, a tennis racket or makes a pretty good carpenter bee swatter.
Tony

snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (DonkeyHody) wrote in message

Damn, these catish are good!!! What's your secret??? Do you add anything special to the oil??? <g>
You shoulda invited a bug dude to your party and had him spray the area as a favor. I work in the real estate biz... Don't fool around trying to remedy yourself. Get a pro before it gets bad. Spray treatments are cheap. While he's there, have him spray down your lumber pile too
SS
Tue, Jul 27, 2004, 5:57pm snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (DonSmith) wants to know: I want to plug my carpenter bee holes in my redwook play gym with some stock redwood I have. What tool do I use?
If you drill some holes, I think about 3/8", in a chunk of 2X4, and hang it up, likely they'll be attracted to it, and leave your gym alone. I also understand painted wood deters them.
Where can I buy redwook at?
JOAT The highway of fear is the road to defeat. - Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE http://www.banjer.com/midi/jerridge.mid
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in message news:<4816-41089FE8-

Not here in western NY those suckers ate thru the facia on both sides of my garage and it was northern WP primed and painted on all 4 sides ;(