tool storage???

Do you guys keep you tool in the original cases(circular saws, cordless drill,ect......) Just wondering......Brian In Hampton

Reply to
Brian

Sure do. Goes a long way to keeping airborne dust from depositing all over them :)

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

5 Reviews:

- Ryobi Reciprocating Saw

- Infinity Router Bits

- Incra Wonder Fence

- Veritas Jointer Blade Sharpener

- Miller Dowel System

Woodman

No. I've been thinking of throwing the cases away, but I haven't yet. Right now they're all stored in a box in the corner.

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

no

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

Unless I have a kit of stuff (like a drill, three batteries, and a charger) to carry around, not at all. Big waste of space.

Just got a Hilti angle grinder. It's a small, 5" grinder, maybe a foot long, and its case is the size of a long-distance suitcase.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Nope - My shop got broken into and having things carefully stowed in their "flight cases" lent a new definition to the phrase. Everyhing is under lock, key and a pit bull on crack.

John Moorhead Lakeport, CA

Reply to
john moorhead

Reply to
jo4hn

Nope! If I did that there would be no room for anything else. I've got a ton of those cases sitting in the attic. That's why God created cabinets with drawers.

Let's see how many I can remember without cheating by going into the shop.

Makita Cordless circ saw Makita 18v drill Makita 12 V impact driver Makita 9.6 drill Dewalt power hand planer Kreg 2000 PC557 biscuit cutter Rotozip (save your money) PC finish nailer PC stapler PC framing nailer

Now I'll go peek:

Couldn't find anything I missed. So there you have it. A stack of cases that would reach to the ceiling.

dave

Brian wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Mostly No. The cases are usually a big waste of space. My preference would be to dispose of cases completely and reduce the cost of the tool that amount. For the few that want cases for transportation purposes, let them buy them as an option.

Reply to
Upscale

A sneeky glot sort of. I just got the new PC router 890 and it has a fantastic case. A place to store the wrench, a set of spaces to hold bushings, holes for bits,both 1/2 & 1/4, a spot for the collet your not using and it can be a holder for the router when it's being used, that is between cuts.

Only one problem I really don't have room for it. Well up on the shelf with the other empties.

Bob making sawdust in Salem Or.

Reply to
RPRESHONG

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:58:30 -0500, "Brian" scribbled

Yup, mainly to keep all the stuff that goes with them (blades, batteries, wrenches, bits, etc.) all in one place so I don't have to go hunting from them. Plus, it makes them easier to stack on shelves. This also goes for the original (but now duct-taped) box my #45 came in.

Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address

"Man is a tool-using animal. Weak in himself and of small stature, he stands on a basis of some half-square foot, has to straddle out his legs lest the very winds supplant him. Nevertheless, he can use tools, can devise tools: with these the granite mountain melts into light dust before him: seas are his smooth highway, winds and fire his unwearying steeds. Nowhere do you find him without tools. Without tools he is nothing: with tools he is all." Thomas Carlyle

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

Brian asks:

I had to think about this--always feel as if I'm throwing away something valuable when I toss a case, even the blow molded literally dime-a-dozen so prevalent now. Mine works out like this: I keep the circular saw in its case; routers in cases if they have them; drill cases get tossed. Actually, the othe circular saw is not in a case, but it almost never gets used--gear driven (Skil

77M) that is rough on my aging elbow. Basically, if a tool has a lot of accessories, I keep it in a case. For the old P-C circular saw, I also want to keep from banging up the base plate, as well as storing extra blades. For drills, the drill bits already have their own storage, traveling and otherwise. For routers, the bits have storage in the shop, in varous ways, but the collets and template guides are often brand specific, so I like to keep them with the brand.

Now, the dozen or so cases I have on hand...who wants 'em?

Charlie Self "Telephone, n. An invention of the devil which abrogates some of the advantages of making a disagreeable person keep his distance." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

The ones that aren't in drawers or cabinets are. I usually try to keep power tools that have many small parts and accessories in the case, so the small bits don't run and hide.

Some tools, like my cordless drills, get used so often, they never really get put away.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

That's the reason to keep the case, all right. That, and there are certain rarely-used tools that might as well stay in their cases as become a tangle of cords and ziplock bags of parts labeled "biscuit joiner" or "Hitachi router."

If they made real hinges and latches on those cases, it would be a no brainer to save 'em.

Reply to
George

No. The tools are stored inside cabinets or on wall shelves. The cases are stored in the basement. However, if I have occasion to take the particular tools to another location, they ALWAYS travel in their cases.

James...

Reply to
J&KCopeland

Hi Brian, Yes and No. Drills (1 corded, 2 cordless) stay on the workbench. Router, sabre saw, sawzall, dremel moto, circular saw...all in cases till I need them. Have fun. Joe

Reply to
kb8qlr

Let me add my voice to the many who have said, in substance, "It depends on the tool."

Most of those cheap, injection-molded carrying cases are a waste of space. If the case simply holds the tool and maybe one or two accessories, I throw it out. Or to be more precise, I send it off to the recycler.

My Sawzall case wouldn't fit in any of my cabinets or on any of my shelves. The tool fits fine into a number of drawers, and in my large generic portable toolchest, and so the case is long gone. The blades go into a drawer in my tool cabinet (the big red thing with all the drawers) and the instruction manual goes into a file cabinet.

Tools I rarely use, such as the Wagner PowerPainter, stay in the case because the cases are more stackable in the attic than the tool itself.

The only case I keep around is the case for my DeWalt cordless drill, and I use it only when I'm doing a simple "away" job like moving the privacy rails at the church for a concert. It's a well-built case -- unlike the cheaply molded cases -- and has spots for the charger, a spare battery, a case of bits, and assorted fasteners.

--Jay

Reply to
Jay Windley

This comes close to my own answer. In my case I have those blow-molded cases for my biscuit joiner, belt sander, brad nailer and roto-zip (don't laugh, it was a present). Other more often used tools such as drills, router, etc. were either purchased without a case or the case was tossed. It amazes me how some of these cases are fairly compact compared to the tool and supplies kept in them and some are WAAAAAY outsized. Tool sets like socket sets and my tap & die set are usually kept in their original plastic cases.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

Tools in cases ? You have to be kidding right!!!! People that have expencive tools that are used out side a lot, like worm saw I can having in a case and guy's that travel a lot have cases but real men likw to expose there tools

Reply to
JuiceofChicago

Perhaps so, however, most REAL me learned how to spell in grade school.

Reply to
Clif